Revisting the Steady-State Equilibrium Conditions of Neoclassical Growth Models
Since the publication of Uzawa(1961), it has been widely accepted that technical change must be purely labor-augmenting for a growth model to exhibit steady-state path. But in this paper, we argue that such a constraint is unnecessary. Further, our model shows that, as long as the sum of the growth rate of marginal efficiency of capital accumulation and the rate of capital-augmenting technological progress equals zero, steady-state growth can be established without constraining the direction of technological change. Thus Uzawa’s theorem represents only a special case, and the explanatory power of growth models would be greatly enhanced if such a constraint is removed.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:||May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bailey, Roy E & Scarth, William M, 1980. "Adjustment Costs and Aggregate Demand Theory," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(188), pages 423-31, November.
- Growiec, Jakub, 2010.
"Knife-edge conditions in the modeling of long-run growth regularities,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1143-1154, December.
- Jakub Growiec, 2009. "Knife-Edge Conditions in the Modeling of Long-Run Growth Regularities," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 68, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Growiec, Jakub, 2008. "Knife-edge conditions in the modeling of long-run growth regularities," MPRA Paper 9956, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2000.
"Labor- and Capital- Augmenting Technical Change,"
NBER Working Papers
7544, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mussa, Michael L, 1977. "External and Internal Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Aggregate and Firm Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(174), pages 163-78, May.
- Robert E. Lucas & Jr., 1967. "Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 321.
- Foley, Duncan K & Sidrauski, Miguel, 1970.
"Portfolio Choice, Investment and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 44-63, March.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:120:y:2005:i:2:p:517-549 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:55045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.