Auge y estancamiento de Japón (1955-2008). Una explicación marxista
[Rise and standstill of Japan (1955-2008). A Marxist explanation]
The present study analyzes the economic Japanese performance according to Marxist political economy. In that sense, an estimation of the valorization process categories is made: profit rate, surplus rate, value capital composition and turnover speed. The Japanese economy is passing through a long period of two decades with low growth related to the world and Japan´s own recent history. There is a deep and constant fall in the profit rate, and its low levels since the nineties keeps Japanese capitalism in the current standstill situation. This work also presents data that refute “profit squeeze” explanations of the profitability fall, reinforcing those related to capital over-accumulation, due to increasing fixed capital to labor force. “Profit squeeze” theories ignore both the basic foundations of the wage income participation and the fixed capital consumption tendency to growth, as a particular income expression of fixed capital relative increase.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Revista Realidad Económica 280 (2014): pp. 130-159|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berlemann, Michael & Wesselhöft, Jan-Erik, 2012. "Estimating Aggregate Capital Stocks Using the Perpetual Inventory Method – New Empirical Evidence for 103 Countries –," Working Paper 125/2012, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Weisskopf, Thomas E, 1979. "Marxian Crisis Theory and the Rate of Profit in the Postwar U.S. Economy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(4), pages 341-78, December.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap, 2004. "Japan's Financial Crisis and Economic Stagnation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(1), pages 3-26, Winter.
- Horioka, Charles Yuji, 2006.
"The causes of Japan's `lost decade': The role of household consumption,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 378-400, December.
- Charles Yuji Horioka, 2006. "The Causes of Japan's "Lost Decade": The Role of Household Consumption," NBER Working Papers 12142, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Yuji Horioka, 2006. "The Causes of Japan's 'Lost Decade': The Role of Household Consumption," ISER Discussion Paper 0661, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Adalmir Marquetti & Eduardo Maldonado Filho & Vladimir Lautert, 2010. "The Profit Rate in Brazil, 1953-2003," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 42(4), pages 485-504, December.
- Rudy Fichtenbaum, 1988. "'Business Cycles,' Turnover and the Rate of Profit: An Empirical Test of Marxian Crisis Theory," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 221-228, Jul-Sep.
- Freeman, Alan, 2009. "What makes the US Profit Rate Fall?," MPRA Paper 14147, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:53102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.