Comment on "Productive Public Expenditure and Imperfect Competition with Endogenous Price Markup"
In this note we show that the claim from Chen et al (2005) that their model generates an endogenous markup is incorrect. This is not only a nomenclature issue: using the �fixed markup which we show to be the only one consistent with the structure of the model implies the main conclusions in that paper do not hold. In particular, government expenditure in infrastructure cannot affect the business cycle in this model by deliberately changing the market structure of the economy.
|Date of creation:||16 Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:||08 Jun 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Startz, Richard, 1989. "Monopolistic Competition as a Foundation for Keynesian Macroeconomic Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 737-52, November.
- Rotemberg, Julio J. & Woodford, Michael, 1999.
"The cyclical behavior of prices and costs,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 16, pages 1051-1135
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Robert J. Barro & Silvana Tenreyro, 2006.
"Closed and Open Economy Models of Business Cycles with Marked Up and Sticky Prices,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(511), pages 434-456, 04.
- Robert Barro & Silvana Tenreyro, 2001. "Closed and open economy models of business cycles with marked-up and sticky prices," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jun.
- Robert J. Barro & Silvana Tenreyro, 2000. "Closed and Open Economy Models of Business Cycles with Marked Up and Sticky Prices," NBER Working Papers 8043, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heijdra, Ben J & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1996. "Keynesian Multipliers and the Cost of Public Funds under Monopolistic Competition," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1284-96, September.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1987.
"Imperfect Competition and the Keynesian Cross,"
NBER Working Papers
2386, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luis Costa, 2004.
"Endogenous markups and fiscal policy,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003
18, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Jhy-hwa Chen & Jhy-yuan Shieh & Ching-chong Lai & Juin-jen Chang, 2005. "Productive public expenditure and imperfect competition with endogenous price markup," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(3), pages 522-544, July.
- Devereux, Michael B & Head, Allen C & Lapham, Beverly J, 1996. "Monopolistic Competition, Increasing Returns, and the Effects of Government Spending," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 233-54, May.
- Dixon, Huw, 1987. "A Simple Model of Imperfect Competition with Walrasian Features," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(1), pages 134-60, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.