Almost Stochastic Dominance and Moments
This paper first extends the theory of almost stochastic dominance (ASD) to the first four orders. We then establish some equivalent relationships for the first four orders of the ASD. Using these results, we prove formally that the ASD definition modified by Tzeng et al.\ (2012) does not possess any hierarchy property. Thereafter, we conclude that when the first four orders of ASD are used in the prospects comparison, risk-averse investors prefer the one with positive gain, smaller variance, positive skewness, and smaller kurtosis. This information, in turn, enables decision makers to determine the ASD relationship among prospects when they know the moments of the prospects. At last, we discuss the necessary and sufficient conditions for different orders the ASD and the moments of the prospects.
|Date of creation:||21 Aug 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Larry Y. Tzeng & Rachel J. Huang & Pai-Ta Shih, 2013. "Revisiting Almost Second-Degree Stochastic Dominance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 59(5), pages 1250-1254, May.
- G. Hanoch & H. Levy, 1969. "The Efficiency Analysis of Choices Involving Risk," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 335-346.
- Thierry Post & Haim Levy, 2005. "Does Risk Seeking Drive Stock Prices? A Stochastic Dominance Analysis of Aggregate Investor Preferences and Beliefs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(3), pages 925-953.
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Harris Schlesinger, 2006.
"Putting Risk in Its Proper Place,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 280-289, March.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & SCHLESINGER, Harris, "undated". "Putting risk in its proper place," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1871, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Harris Schlesinger, 2005. "Putting Risk in its Proper Place," CESifo Working Paper Series 1462, CESifo Group Munich.
- L. Eeckhoudt & H. Schlesinger, 2006. "Putting risk in its proper place," Post-Print hal-00283170, HAL.
- Levy, Moshe, 2009. "Almost Stochastic Dominance and stocks for the long run," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 194(1), pages 250-257, April.
- Hadar, Josef & Russell, William R, 1969. "Rules for Ordering Uncertain Prospects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 25-34, March.
- Michel M. Denuit & Louis Eeckhoudt, 2010.
"A General Index of Absolute Risk Attitude,"
INFORMS, vol. 56(4), pages 712-715, April.
- DENUIT, Michel M. & EECKHOUDT, Louis, "undated". "A general index of absolute risk attitude," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2210, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- L. Eeckhoudt & M. Denuit, 2010. "A General Index of Absolute Risk Attitude," Post-Print hal-00570578, HAL.
- Post, Thierry & Versijp, Philippe, 2007. "Multivariate Tests for Stochastic Dominance Efficiency of a Given Portfolio," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(02), pages 489-515, June.
- Haim Levy, 1992. "Stochastic Dominance and Expected Utility: Survey and Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(4), pages 555-593, April.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Bali, Turan G. & Demirtas, K. Ozgur & Levy, Haim & Wolf, Avner, 2009. "Bonds versus stocks: Investors' age and risk taking," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 817-830, September.
- Moshe Leshno & Haim Levy, 2002. "Preferred by "All" and Preferred by "Most" Decision Makers: Almost Stochastic Dominance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(8), pages 1074-1085, August.
- Wing-Keung Wong & Chenghu Ma, 2008. "Preferences over location-scale family," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 37(1), pages 119-146, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.