Financial Fragility and Macroeconomic Instability in a Heterogeneous Interacting Agents Framework
A financial crisis can have important effects on the real economy. The more financially fragile are agents the more likely is the occurrence of a financial crisis. Moreover, financial contagion may have more or less severe consequences on the real economy, depending on the degree distribution of credit interlinkagess. However, financial instability may be due to real causes. For instance, the deregulation of markets may create the conditions for an increase of inequality. If rich people save a larger part of their income, while the poor are forced to reduce consumption, a lack of aggregate demand may follow, which can eventually lead to a large crisis.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sorensen, Bent & Yesiltas, Sevcan, 2012.
"Leverage across firms, banks, and countries,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 284-298.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent Sorensen & Sevcan Yesiltas, 2011. "Leverage Across Firms, Banks, and Countries," NBER Working Papers 17354, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sørensen, Bent E & Yesiltas, Sevcan, 2011. "Leverage Across Firms, Banks and Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 8549, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Russo, 2014.
"Elements of Novelty, Known Mechanisms, and the Fundamental Causes of the Recent Crisis,"
Journal of Economic Issues,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(3), pages 743-764, September.
- Russo, Alberto, 2012. "Elements of novelty, known mechanisms, and the fundamental causes of the recent crisis," MPRA Paper 41088, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1988.
"Financial Market Imperfections and Business Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
2494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1993. "Financial Market Imperfections and Business Cycles," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(1), pages 77-114.
- Luca Riccetti & Alberto Russo & Mauro Gallegati, 2015.
"An agent based decentralized matching macroeconomic model,"
Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination,
Springer;Society for Economic Science with Heterogeneous Interacting Agents, vol. 10(2), pages 305-332, October.
- Riccetti, Luca & Russo, Alberto & Gallegati, Mauro, 2012. "An Agent Based Decentralized Matching Macroeconomic Model," MPRA Paper 42211, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2000.
"Financialization and the Slowdown of Accumulation,"
geewp14, Vienna University of Economics and Business Research Group: Growth and Employment in Europe: Sustainability and Competitiveness.
- Luca RICCETTI & Alberto RUSSO & Mauro GALLEGATI, 2011.
"Leveraged Network-Based Financial Accelerator,"
371, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998.
"The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework,"
NBER Working Papers
6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999. "The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393 Elsevier.
- Bernanke, B. & Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," Working Papers 98-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Delli Gatti, Domenico & Gallegati, Mauro & Greenwald, Bruce & Russo, Alberto & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2010. "The financial accelerator in an evolving credit network," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1627-1650, September.
- Flannery, Mark J. & Rangan, Kasturi P., 2006. "Partial adjustment toward target capital structures," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 469-506, March.
- de Cecco, Marcello, 1990. "Keynes revived : A review essay," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 179-190, August.
- Till van Treeck, 2009. "The macroeconomics of "financialisation" and the deeper origins of the world economic crisis," IMK Working Paper 9-2009, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2009. "The Limits of Minsky’s Financial Instability Hypothesis as an Explanation of the Crisis," IMK Working Paper 11-2009, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:46578. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.