Investigation about the presence of the day – of - the - week effect in the Bucharest Stock Exchange
In the last decades the specialized literature revealed the seasonal effects on the financial markets evolution. Among them there is the day – of – the – week effect, which consists in significant differences from the average returns on some days of the week than others. This paper investigates the presence of the day – of – the – week effect in Bucharest Stock Exchange. Our analysis is based on the BET index and on the returns of all the stocks traded in BET during the first semester of 2009. The tendency of the Bucharest Stock Market to display systematic patterns of certain day of the week is studied by regressions with dummy variables for the working days of a week. The results indicate a significant Thursday effect for BET and for most of the ten stocks
|Date of creation:||19 Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:||19 Nov 2009|
|Publication status:||Published in The Proceedings of the 15th International Conference “The Knowledge-Based Organization”, Sibiu 26-28 November 2009 Economic Sciences.3/2009(2009): pp. 164-169|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keim, Donald B & Stambaugh, Robert F, 1984. " A Further Investigation of the Weekend Effect in Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 819-35, July.
- French, Kenneth R., 1980. "Stock returns and the weekend effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 55-69, March.
- Honghui Chen & Vijay Singal, 2003. "Role of Speculative Short Sales in Price Formation: The Case of the Weekend Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 685-706, 04.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Hess, Patrick, 1981. "Day of the Week Effects and Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 579-96, October.
- Abraham, Abraham & Ikenberry, David L., 1994. "The Individual Investor and the Weekend Effect," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 263-277, June.
- Dubois, M. & Louvet, P., 1996. "The day-of-the-week effect: The international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1463-1484, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41749. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.