Changes in the DOW effects in the Romanian foreign exchange market
This paper explores the changes in the daily seasonality of the Romanian foreign market from January 2005 to February 2010. Our investigation employs data from the prices in the Romanian national currency, of the two main currencies used in the financial transactions: euro and US dollar. For the euro we find evidence of a Monday effect between January 2005 and June 2007, no DOW effect between July 2007 and September 2008, a Tuesday effect between October 2008 and April 2009 and a Thursday effect between May 2009 and February 2010. For the US dollar we identify only a Tuesday effect between October 2008 and April 2009. We relate these changes with the consequences of the Romania’s adhesion to the European Union and with the effects of the global crisis.
|Date of creation:||15 Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:||15 Mar 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bossaerts, Peter & Hillion, Pierre, 1991. "Market Microstructure Effects of Government Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(3), pages 513-41.
- Tang, Gordon Y. N., 1997. "Impact of the day-of-the-week effect on diversification of exchange rate risks," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 35-51, February.
- Dubois, M. & Louvet, P., 1996. "The day-of-the-week effect: The international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1463-1484, November.
- Honghui Chen & Vijay Singal, 2003. "Role of Speculative Short Sales in Price Formation: The Case of the Weekend Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 685-706, 04.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey & Westerfield, Randolph, 1985. "Patterns in Japanese Common Stock Returns: Day of the Week and Turn of the Year Effects," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 261-272, June.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Hess, Patrick, 1981. "Day of the Week Effects and Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 579-96, October.
- Shinji Takagi, 1991. "Exchange Rate Expectations: A Survey of Survey Studies," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(1), pages 156-183, March.
- Penman, Stephen H., 1987. "The distribution of earnings news over time and seasonalities in aggregate stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 199-228, June.
- French, Kenneth R., 1980. "Stock returns and the weekend effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 55-69, March.
- David Bell & Eric Levin, 1998. "What causes intra-week regularities in stock returns? Some evidence from the UK," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 353-357.
- Chris Brooks & Gita Persand, 2001. "Seasonality in Southeast Asian stock markets: some new evidence on day-of-the-week effects," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 155-158.
- Yamori, Nobuyoshi & Kurihara, Yutaka, 2004. "The day-of-the-week effect in foreign exchange markets: multi-currency evidence," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 51-57, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41666. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.