An optimal strategy for maximizing the expected real-estate selling price: accept or reject an offer?
Motivated by a real-life situation, we put forward a model and then derive an optimal strategy that maximizes the expected real-estate selling price when one of the only two remaining buyers has already made an offer but the other one is yet to make. Since the seller is not sure whether the other buyer would make a lower or higher offer, and given no recall, the seller needs a strategy to decide whether to accept or reject the first-come offer. The herein derived optimal seller's strategy, which maximizes the expected selling price, is illustrated under several scenarios, such as independent and dependent offers by the two buyers, and for several parametric price distributions.
|Date of creation:||14 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anglin, Paul M & Rutherford, Ronald & Springer, Thomas M, 2003. "The Trade-Off Between the Selling Price of Residential Properties and Time-on-the-Market: The Impact of Price Setting," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 95-111, January.
- Tapan Biswas & Jolian Mchardy, 2012.
"Asking Price And Price Discounts: The Strategy Of Selling An Asset Under Price Uncertainty,"
Review of Economic Analysis,
Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 4(1), pages 17-37, June.
- Tapan Biswas & Jolian Mchardy, 2007. "Asking Price and Price Discounts: The Strategy of Selling an Asset Under Price Uncertainty," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 62(3), pages 281-301, May.
- Anglin, Paul M., 2004. "How long does it take to buy one house and sell another?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 87-100, June.
- Ping Cheng & Zhenguo Lin & Yingchun Liu, 2008. "A Model of Time-on-Market and Real Estate Price Under Sequential Search with Recall," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 36(4), pages 813-843, December.
- Michael A. Arnold, 1999. "Search, Bargaining and Optimal Asking Prices," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 27(3), pages 453-481.
- S. Christian Albright, 1977. "A Bayesian Approach to a Generalized House Selling Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(4), pages 432-440, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40694. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.