Asking Price And Price Discounts: The Strategy Of Selling An Asset Under Price Uncertainty
(Originally published in Theory and Decision (2007) 62:281-301 (c) Springer) - We consider fixed and asking price strategies in the con- text of selling an asset with Bernoullian updating of the sellerâ€™s subjective probability of sale at a given price. The determination of optimal fixed, asking and endogenous reservation prices is discussed under risk-neutral- ity and expected utility maximisation. With risk-neutrality, the optimal asking price exceeds the optimal fixed price when the expected gain is a strictly concave function. The sellerâ€™s choice between the fixed and the asking price strategies depends on several factors: the expected cost of haggling, price competition and the sellerâ€™s attitude towards risk.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John G. Riley & Richard Zeckhauser, 1980. "Optimal Selling Strategies:," UCLA Economics Working Papers 180, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Zuehlke, Thomas W, 1987. "Duration Dependence in the Housing Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(4), pages 701-04, November.
- S. Christian Albright, 1977. "A Bayesian Approach to a Generalized House Selling Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(4), pages 432-440, December.
- Rothschild, Michael, 1974. "Searching for the Lowest Price When the Distribution of Prices Is Unknown," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 689-711, July/Aug..
- Tapan Biswas, 2012.
"A Note on the Generalised Measures of Risk Aversion,"
Review of Economic Analysis,
Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 4(1), pages 151-156, June.
- Biswas, Tapan, 1983. "A note on the generalised measures of risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 347-352, April.
- Telser, L G, 1973. "Searching for the Lowest Price," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(2), pages 40-49, May.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "The Role of the List Price in Housing Markets: Theory and an Econometric Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 115-29, April-Jun.
- Thanassoulis, John, 2004. "Haggling over substitutes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 217-245, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ren:journl:v:4:y:2012:i:1:p:17-37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J. Fernando Reyes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.