The crisis of the EMU
The Euro Zone (EZ)’s economies are under great stress since last decade’s financial crisis. Diverging interest rates, high debt burdens and sluggish growth in several member countries led to various rescue activities. Nevertheless, financial markets have still not calmed and the break-up of the EZ is discussed openly. Contrary to the popular belief I show that the Euro itself has been a success story so far but the EZ suffers under a debt crisis and huge economic imbalances. An overhaul of the EZ’s institutional framework, however, is necessary.
|Date of creation:||31 Jul 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boysen-Hogrefe, Jens, 2011. "Für einen Schuldenschnitt und gegen den Rettungsschirm? Argumente auf dem Prüfstand," Kiel Policy Brief 29, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Thomas Mayer & Jochen Möbert & Christian Weistroffer, 2011. "Makroökonomische Ungleichgewichte in der EWU und das Eurosystem," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 64(16), pages 31-38, 09.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2012. "Die Target-Kredite der Deutschen Bundesbank," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 65, pages 03-34, 03.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2011. "Die europäische Zahlungsbilanzkrise - Eine Einführung," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 64(16), pages 03-08, 09.
- Stefan Homburg, 2011.
"Anmerkungen zum Target2-Streit,"
Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 64(16), pages 46-50, 09.
- Stefan Homburg, 2011. "Anmerkungen zum Target2-Streit," Wirtschaftsdienst, Springer;German National Library of Economics, vol. 91(8), pages 526-530, August.
- Klodt, Henning, 2011. "Ist die Währungsunion zu retten? Für einen anreizeffizienten Krisenmechanismus," Kiel Working Papers 1690, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Bergljot B Barkbu & Jesmin Rahman & Rodrigo O. Valdes, 2012. "Fostering Growth in Europe Now," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 12/07, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40390. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.