The symbolic universe of Cyberjaya, Malaysia
This paper analyses how various actors have used potent urban symbols to assert their vision of a modern, globalized Malay identity in the construction of the recently founded knowledge city of Cyberjaya, part of the flagship Multimedia Super Corridor project. As the state controls both the land and the urban planning process it has attempted to impose its own particularistic vision of Malaysian society on urban space and urban structures. This is demonstrated through an analysis of the discursive vision behind Cyberjaya, the logos of government corporations, the use of architectural forms and motifs, and the treatment of urban space itself. The discussion suggests the spatial and symbolic universe of Cyberjaya draws on both patterns of ‘traditional’ Malay life as well a projected vision of a modernized Malay identity that resonates with a globalized Islam. This generates contestations in which other possible imaginings of Cyberjaya’s symbolic space become possible.
|Date of creation:||10 May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in ZEF Working Paper Series 95 (2012): pp. 1-33|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:sen:rebelj:v:lvi:y:2011:i:4:p:378-382 is not listed on IDEAS
- H. Dewachter & R. Houssa & P.R. Kaltwasser, 2011. "Introduction," Review of Business and Economic Literature, Intersentia, vol. 56(4), pages 378-382, December.
- Ann H. Kelly & P. Wenzel Geissler, 2011. "Introduction," Journal of Cultural Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(1), pages 3-10, February.
- Brenner, Neil, 2004. "New State Spaces: Urban Governance and the Rescaling of Statehood," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199270064, December.
- N. Lesca, 2011. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00640604, HAL.
- Evers, Hans-Dieter & Gerke, Solvay, 2007. "Social and Cultural Dimensions of Market Expansion," MPRA Paper 6587, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C. Dominguez-Pery, 2011. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00740570, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.