International linkages of Japanese bond markets: an empirical analysis
This paper examines the dynamic patterns of international linkages of the Japanese government bond yields with government bond yields in the US, the UK and Germany during the period from January 1980 to December 2004. Applying the vector autoregression (VAR) model and the vector error correction (VEC) model to monthly observations of nominal bond yields and exchange rate-adjusted bond yields over the 25-year period, this paper provides consistent empirical evidence that the Japanese bond market is independent of other major national bond markets, but it exerts some influence in determining bond yields in bond markets in other major industrial countries. However, since the early 1990, evidence shows that the independence of the Japanese bond market has increased further, while its leading role in global bond markets has been eroded significantly.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:||01 Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barassi, Marco R & Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Hall, Stephen G, 2001. "Irreducibility and Structural Cointegrating Relations: An Application to the G-7 Long-Term Interest Rates," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 127-138, April.
- Sutton, Gregory D., 2000. "Is there excess comovement of bond yields between countries?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 363-376, June.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Yang, Jian, 2005. "International bond market linkages: a structural VAR analysis," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 39-54, January.
- Kenneth L. Smith, 2002. "Government Bond Market Seasonality, Diversification, and Cointegration: International Evidence," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 203-221.
- Lee Bong-Soo & Jeon Bang Nam, 1995. "Common Stochastic Trends and Predictability of International Stock Prices," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 245-277, September.
- George M. von Furstenberg & Bang Nam Jeon, 1989. "International Stock Price Movements: Links and Messages," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 125-180.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36929. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.