Optimum currency area: an epistemological view
This paper aims to provide a critical analysis of the evolution of the optimum currency area theory. The motivation for this paper arises from the fact that there are many studies that make references to the OCA theory, providing various insights for it. In the first part of the paper I will address the foundation of this theory through the contributions of Mundell (1961), McKinnon (1963), Kenen (1969) and the subsequent development, which has not been a smooth one. The contributions brought to the OCA theory have been market by some paradoxes, but there has been a reconciliation among those which led to a renewed interest into the subject. The second part refers to the empirical phase in which we focus mostly on the European integration experience due to the various data and research that it provides. Thus, there is a need to distinguish between the OCA theory and the EMU, the latter referring to a question regarding timing and modalities of creating a currency union. The merit of the OCA theory is that has brought together a large amount of research on monetary integration.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Herbert G. Grubel, 1970. "The Theory of Optimum Currency Areas," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 3(2), pages 318-24, May.
- Dellas, Harris & Tavlas, George, 2010.
"An Optimum Currency Area Odyssey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7645, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Julius Horvath, 2004.
"Optimum currency area theory: A selective review,"
- Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2002.
""New" views on the optimum currency area theory: what is EMU telling us?,"
Working Paper Series
0138, European Central Bank.
- Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2002. "ìNew" Views on the Optimum Currency Area Theory: What is EMU Telling US?," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 140, Royal Economic Society.
- Connolly, Michael B, 2001. "Robert A. Mundell: A Profile," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 585-94, November.
- George S. Tavlas, 2009. "Optimum-Currency-Area Paradoxes," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 536-551, 08.
- Rose, Andrew K, 2000. " A Review of Some of the Economic Contributions of Robert A. Mundell, Winner of the 1999 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(2), pages 211-22, June.
- Francesco Paolo Mongelli, 2008. "European Economic and Monetary Integration, and the Optimum Currency Area Theory," European Economy - Economic Papers 302, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35055. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.