Determinants of smallholder farmers’ demand for purchased inputs in Lilongwe District, Malawi: evidence from Mitundu extension planning area
The aim of this study was to empirically determine the factors that affect smallholder farmers’ demand for purchased fertilizer and seed using cross section data from 160 farmers. Model solutions, which were created by using Translog Cost Function were carried out by Seemingly Unrelated Regression (SUR). To this end this study revealed that education, field size (plot of land cultivated) and household size have significant negative relationship with the share of fertilizer purchased and positively related with share of seed. Whereas price of output, seed, fertilizer and income of the household are found to be significant and positively related to share of fertilizer and negatively related with share of purchased seed.
|Date of creation:||05 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelly, Valerie A., 2005. "Farmers' Demand for Fertilizer in Sub-Saharan Africa," Staff Papers 11612, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Obare, Gideon A. & Omamo, S.W. & Williams, J.C., 2003. "Smallholder production structure and rural roads in Africa: the case of Nakuru District, Kenya," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 28(3), May.
- Dalton, Timothy J. & Masters, William A. & Foster, Kenneth A., 1997.
"Production costs and input substitution in Zimbabwe's smallholder agriculture,"
Blackwell, vol. 17(2-3), pages 201-209, December.
- Dalton, Timothy J. & Masters, William A. & Foster, Kenneth A., 1997. "Production costs and input substitution in Zimbabwe's smallholder agriculture," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 17(2-3), December.
- Olwande, John & Ngigi, Margaret & Nguyo, Wilson, 2009. "Supply Responsiveness Of Maize Farmers In Kenya: A Farm-Level Analysis," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50786, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Obare, G. A. & Omamo, S. W. & Williams, J. C., 2003. "Smallholder production structure and rural roads in Africa: the case of Nakuru District, Kenya," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 245-254, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:34590. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.