Efficiency of broadband internet adoption in European Union member states
This paper is devoted to econometric analysis of broadband adoption efficiency in EU member states. Stochastic frontier models are widely used for efficiency estimation. We enhanced the stochastic frontier model by adding a spatial component into the model specification to reflect possible dependencies between neighbour countries. A maximum likelihood estimator for the model was developed. The proposed spatial autoregressive stochastic frontier model is used for estimation of broadband adoption efficiency. We confirmed a negative impact of average prices of broadband services on broadband adoption in a country and also discovered a significant negative influence of a level of population income inequality. Significant positive spatial effects also have been revealed, so higher broadband penetration rates in neighbour countries have a positive impact on broadband adoption in a given country.
|Date of creation:||30 Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexandra Schmidt & Ajax Moreira & Steven Helfand & Thais Fonseca, 2009.
"Spatial stochastic frontier models: accounting for unobserved local determinants of inefficiency,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 101-112, April.
- Alexandra M. Schmidt & Ajax R. B. Moreira & Thais C. O. Fonseca & Steven M. Helfand, 2006. "Spatial Stochastic Frontier Models: accounting for unobserved local determinants of inefficiency," Discussion Papers 1220, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Alexandra M. Schmidt & Ajax R. B. Moreira & Thais C. O. Fonseca & Steven M. Helfand, 2015. "Spatial Stochastic Frontier Models: Accounting for Unobserved Local Determinants of Inefficiency," Discussion Papers 0172, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Erniel B. Barrios & Rouselle F. Lavado, 2010. "Spatial Stochastic Frontier Models," Microeconomics Working Papers 23091, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Lavado, Rouselle F. & Barrios, Erniel B., 2010. "Spatial Stochastic Frontier Models," Discussion Papers DP 2010-08, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Kumbhakar,Subal C. & Lovell,C. A. Knox, 2003. "Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521666633, Diciembre. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:34183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.