An Introduction to the CenPRIS Ocean Research Cluster ‐ ORES
The initial main theme of CenPRIS’s ocean research cluster is “connecting oceans” - an allusion to CenPRIS’s eventual focus on the Straits of Malacca as a body of water or maritime space that connects its littoral states - Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore - with the larger ocean space, the Indian Ocean. Focusing on the maritime potential of nations represents the other principal component of CenPRIS’s ocean research cluster. The development of the “CenPRIS Ocean Index” will measure the level of utilisation of a nation’s maritime resources and act as a policy planning instrument within Malaysia’s new Ocean Policy. Another research project under the cluster will examine the development of Penang as a knowledge hub in the Straits of Malacca region. A third project that will build upon the two research frameworks is on the governance of ethnic and bio-diversity along the Straits of Malacca, examining in greater detail the importance of sea passageways. For the governance of diversity, the participation of the natural sciences - marine biologists, oceanographers and other scientists - will bring more depth to a complex field that demands an interdisciplinary approach.
|Date of creation:||16 Aug 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans-Dieter Evers & Azhari Karim, 2011.
"The Maritime Potential of ASEAN Economies,"
Journal of Current Southeast Asian Affairs,
Institute of Asian Studies, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies, Hamburg, vol. 30(1), pages 117-124.
- Evers, Hans-Dieter & Karim, Azhari, 2011. "The maritime potential of ASEAN economies," MPRA Paper 31761, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Evers, Hans-Dieter & Karim, Azhari, 2011. "The Maritime Potential of ASEAN Economies," MPRA Paper 31760, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Evers, Hans-Dieter, 2011. "Penang as a knowledge hub," MPRA Paper 31763, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Evers, Hans-Dieter, 2010. "Measuring the maritime potential of nations. The CenPRIS ocean index, phase one (ASEAN)," MPRA Paper 24431, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- H.-D. Evers & A.-K. Hornidge, 2007. "Knowledge hubs along the Straits of Malacca," Asia Europe Journal, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 417-433, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33989. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.