Who issues debt securities in emerging countries?
This paper focuses on the differences of capital market accessibility and investigates the determinants of firm debt securities issuance in emerging countries. The following results are derived from the empirical analysis. First, country panel analyses showed that the debt securities market development and domestic equity market development were positively related. Second, firm panel data analyses of ASEAN countries suggest that debt securities issuers and frequent equity issuers overlap. Third, analyses of daily stock price data of ASEAN firms reveal that debt securities are not issued for infrequent equity issuers, regardless of the stock price, whereas frequent equity issuers choose debt securities issuance as a funding tool when the stock price is low. Fourth, as compared to accessible frequent equity issuers, market-inaccessible firms are less sensitive to the financial cost of debt securities issuance.
|Date of creation:||25 Jul 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wurgler, Jeffrey, 2000.
"Financial markets and the allocation of capital,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 187-214.
- Jeffrey Wurgler, 1999. "Financial Markets And The Allocation Of Capital," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm123, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Mar 2001.
- E. P. Davis, 2001. "Multiple Avenues of Intermediation, Corporate Finance and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 01/115, International Monetary Fund.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 2005. "Financing decisions: who issues stock?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 549-582, June.
- Omer Brav, 2009. "Access to Capital, Capital Structure, and the Funding of the Firm," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(1), pages 263-308, 02.
- Vidhan K. Goyal & Alessandro Nova & Laura Zanetti, 2011. "Capital Market Access and Financing of Private Firms," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 155-179, 06. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33623. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.