U.S. Bilateral Trade Deficits with China and Japan: The Role of Japanese Direct Investment
This paper argues that Japanese Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in China plays a critical role in home and host country’s bilateral trade imbalances with the U.S. Using six cross-sectional panel data from 1981 to 2007, we find strong evidence in support of the role of Japanese FDI in mounting U.S.-China trade imbalance and in reducing deficit of U.S. trade with Japan. The devaluation of Chinese Yuan does not affect its bilateral trade balance with the U.S. and there are mixed evidence in terms of the relationship between the Japanese Yen exchange rate and the U.S.-Japan trade deficit.
|Date of creation:||May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in The Empirical Economics Letters 6.10(2011): pp. 527-534|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xing, Yuqing, 2007. "Foreign direct investment and China's bilateral intra-industry trade with Japan and the US," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 685-700, August.
- Houthakker, Hendrik S & Magee, Stephen P, 1969. "Income and Price Elasticities in World Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(2), pages 111-25, May.
- Xing, Yuqing, 2007. "Foreign direct investment and China's bilateral intra-industry trade with Japan and the US," BOFIT Discussion Papers 1/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Thomas Klitgaard & Karen Schiele, 1997. "The growing U.S. trade imbalance with China," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 3(May).
- Menzie D. Chinn, 2004.
"Incomes, Exchange Rates and the US Trade Deficit, Once Again,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 451-469, December.
- Chinn, Menzie, 2002. "Incomes, Exchange Rates and the U.S. Trade Deficit, Once Again," Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, Working Paper Series qt0tc442fc, Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, UC Santa Cruz.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Zohre Ardalani, 2006. "Exchange Rate Sensitivity of U.S. Trade Flows: Evidence from Industry Data," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 542-559, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30740. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.