Foreign direct investment and China's bilateral intra-industry trade with Japan and the US
This paper analyzes dynamic changes of China's intra-industry trade with its major trading partners, Japan and the US, from 1980 to 2004. It also investigates to what extent foreign direct investment promoted intra-industry trade. The empirical results show that, while shares of China's intra-industry trade with both Japan and U.S rose substantially, its intra-industry trade with Japan has reached 35 per cent of the overall trade, considerably larger than 10 per cent with the US. Sino-Japan intra-industry trade concentrated in the electrical and machinery sectors accounted for 52 per cent and 46 per cent of overall trade respectively. On the other hand, it is in the chemical and food sectors where intra-industry trade represented a relatively large proportion of Sino-US trade, 50 per cent and 30 per cent accordingly in each sector. In addition, the analysis indicates that Japanese direct investment in China performed a significant role in enhancing intra-industry trade between Japan and China. However, it found no evidence that the US direct investment in China contributed to the growth of the bilateral intra-industry trade between the two countries.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "Intra-Industry specialization : A cross-country analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 27-42, February.
- Don Clark, 1993. "Recent evidence on determinants of intra-industry trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 129(2), pages 332-344, June.
- Nicolas R. Blancher & Thomas Rumbaugh, 2004. "China; International Trade and WTO Accession," IMF Working Papers 04/36, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:rus:hseeco:121607 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pol Antràs, 2003.
"Firms, Contracts, and Trade Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
9740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Thorpe & Zhaoyang Zhang, 2005. "Study of the Measurement and Determinants of Intra-industry Trade in East Asia ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 231-247, 06.
- Yuqing Xing & Guanghua Wan, 2006. "Exchange Rates and Competition for FDI in Asia," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 419-434, 04.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Lisbeth Hellvin, 1996. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade Between China and OECD Countries," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 114, OECD Publishing.
- Xiaoling Hu & Yue Ma, 1999. "International intra-industry trade of China," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 135(1), pages 82-101, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:asieco:v:18:y:2007:i:4:p:685-700. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.