Poverty, Income Distribution and Social Development in Lahore
In this paper we present a comparative analysis of poverty and income inequality prevalent in the seven towns of Lahore. Further, an analysis of gender inequality and overall social development is presented by considering education, health, and labor market conditions. We have computed the Herfindahl Index, Gini Coefficient, ratio of share of income of the bottom 20% to the top 20% and Sen index in this study. Finally, a composite index of social development is estimated and on the basis of this, index ranking of each town is outlined. Nishter Town is the least socially developed town whereas Aziz Bhatti, Shalimar, and Allama Iqbal towns are less socially developed as compared to Ravi, Cantt and Gunj Buksh towns.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2010|
|Publication status:||Published in PAKISTAN BUSINESS REVIEW April.12(1)(2010): pp. 93-109|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:pid:journl:v:27:y:1988:i:2:p:159-182 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hirschberg, Joseph G. & Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Slottje, Daniel J., 1991. "Cluster analysis for measuring welfare and quality of life across countries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 131-150, October.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1989. "Continuously distributed attributes and measures of multivariate inequality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 131-144, September.
- repec:pid:journl:v:42:y:2003:i:2:p:113-123 is not listed on IDEAS
- A. B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30531. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.