Successive Trade Liberalization and Wage Inequality
This paper examines the implications of initial conditions in terms of the levels of tariff protection from which countries liberalize their trade regimes on the wage inequality in trading nations. The discussion is confined to the standard two-country Heckscher-Ohlin-Samuelson model to see whether there can be channels, other than those discussed in the recent literature, through which the observed phenomena can be theoretically predicted. The initial conditions are observed to matter in the sense that for countries lowering their tariff levels successively than once and for all, intra-country wage inequality may change asymmetrically at different stages of liberalization.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul R., 2000.
"Technology, trade and factor prices,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 51-71, February.
- Lloyd A. Metzler, 1949. "Tariffs, the Terms of Trade, and the Distribution of National Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57, pages 1-1.
- Sanyal, Kalyan K, 1983. "Vertical Specialization in a Ricardian Model with a Continuum of Stages of Production," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 71-78, February.
- Yabuuchi, Shigemi & Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2009. "Skill Formation, Capital Adjustment Cost and Wage Inequality," MPRA Paper 18381, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ruffin, Roy J., 2003. "Oligopoly and trade: what, how much, and for whom?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 315-335, August.
- Sugata Marjit & Rajat Acharyya, 2006. "Trade Liberalization, Skill-linked Intermediate Production and the Two-sided Wage Gap," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 203-217.
- Zhu, Susan Chun & Trefler, Daniel, 2005. "Trade and inequality in developing countries: a general equilibrium analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 21-48, January.
- Jones, Ronald W & Engerman, Stanley L, 1996. "Trade, Technology, and Wages: A Tale of Two Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 35-40, May.
- Donald R. Davis, 1996.
"Trade Liberalization and Income Distribution,"
NBER Working Papers
5693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald R. Davis, 1996. "Trade Liberalization and Income Distribution," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1769, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Xu, Bin, 2003. "Trade liberalization, wage inequality, and endogenously determined nontraded goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 417-431, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.