Internal Assessment of Credit Concentration Risk Capital: A Portfolio Analysis of Indian Public Sector Bank
This paper aims at working out a more risk sensitive measure of concentration risk and captures its impact in terms of capital number that will help the bank’s top management to manage it efficiently as well as meet the regulatory compliance. We have designed a more risk sensitive measures like expected loss based Hirschman-Herfindahl Index (HHI), loss correlation approach (single as well as multi factor), credit value at risk (C-VaR) based on bank’s internal loss data history that would measure credit concentration and suggest the amount of capital required to cover concentration risk. Using detailed borrower wide, facility wide, industry and regional loan portfolio data of a mid sized public sector bank in India, our paper attempts to provide a detail insight into measurement of concentration risk in credit portfolio and understand its impact in terms of economic capital for the bank as a whole. Regulators and other stakeholders worldwide are asking for more accurate and precise measure of concentration risk in terms of capital numbers. The detailed analysis and methods used in this paper is an attempt to find out a solution in this direction.
|Date of creation:||31 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Egloff, Daniel & Leippold, Markus & Vanini, Paolo, 2007. "A simple model of credit contagion," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2475-2492, August.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Klaus Düllmann & Nancy Masschelein, 2007. "A Tractable Model to Measure Sector Concentration Risk in Credit Portfolios," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 32(1), pages 55-79, October.
- Gordy, Michael B., 2003.
"A risk-factor model foundation for ratings-based bank capital rules,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 199-232, July.
- Michael B. Gordy, 2002. "A risk-factor model foundation for ratings-based bank capital rules," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-55, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Arindam Bandyopadhyay & Tasneem Chherawala & Asish Saha, 2007. "Calibrating asset correlation for Indian corporate exposures: Implications for regulatory capital," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(4), pages 330-348, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:28672. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.