Institution and foreign direct investment (FDI) : survey of the literature
In this paper, I survey the current literature relating to the relationship between the institution and foreign direct investment (FDI). In doing so, I have comprehensively analyzed two most recent paper written by Busse and Hefeker (2007) and Daude and Stein (2007). Both articles have used a difference econometric methodology, explanatory variables and institutions measurement in order to link whether institution variables matter or not in influencing the behaviour of foreign investors, in particular from Multinational Enterprise (MNE’s). Based on these papers, they found that a better institution in term of government stability, investment profile, internal and external conflicts, law and order, democratic accountability and bureaucratic quality are pre-requisite for promoting the investment from MNE’s. Therefore, the policy makers have to maintain a sound institution in order to take advantage the inflow of foreign investment. However, I argued that a sound institution is an inadequately in explaining the behaviour of MNE’s. A good interaction between institutional variables and other macro variables such as a well-developed financial system, favourable growth performance, high trade openness, excellent infrastructure development, low country risk as well as an attractive fiscal and monetary incentive are also vital in stimulating the inflow of FDI to the host countries.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hefeker, Carsten & Busse, Matthias, 2005.
"Political Risk, Institutions and Foreign Direct Investment,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
315, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Busse, Matthias & Hefeker, Carsten, 2007. "Political risk, institutions and foreign direct investment," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 397-415, June.
- David L. Carr & James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 1998.
"Estimating the Knowledge-Capital Model of the Multinational Enterprise,"
NBER Working Papers
6773, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David L. Carr & James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 2001. "Estimating the Knowledge-Capital Model of the Multinational Enterprise," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 693-708, June.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 1997. "Why is Corruption So Much More Taxing Than Tax? Arbitrariness Kills," NBER Working Papers 6255, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 1999. "Why Do Some Countries Produce So Much More Output per Worker than Others?," NBER Working Papers 6564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holger Schmieding, 1993. "From plan to market: On the nature of the transformation crisis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 129(2), pages 216-253, June.
- Aymo Brunetti & Beatrice Weder, 1998. "Investment and institutional uncertainty: A comparative study of different uncertainty measures," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 513-533, September.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995.
"Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992. "Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- repec:oup:restud:v:58:y:1991:i:2:p:277-97 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christian Daude & Ernesto Stein, 2007. "The Quality Of Institutions And Foreign Direct Investment," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 317-344, November.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2007.
"Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(5), pages 764-782, 05.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2005. "Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 2005-05, CEPII research center.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2007. "Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00268751, HAL.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 1999. "Why do Some Countries Produce So Much More Output Per Worker than Others?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(1), pages 83-116.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26977. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.