Measuring monetary conditions in Europe: Use and limitations of the monetary conditions index
The monetary conditions index is a composite index of interest and exchange rates frequently used by central banks, the International Monetary Fund, and the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development. This paper considers the benefits and weaknesses of the monetary conditions index in the light of large macroeconometric models. It follows that the impact of the exchange rate on gross domestic product relative to the impact of the short-term interest rate is substantially lower under a monetary union. For most countries, including a long-term interest rate only affects the level of the monetary conditions index and not its turning points.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duguay, Pierre, 1994. "Empirical evidence on the strength of the monetary transmission mechanism in Canada: An aggregate approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 39-61, February.
- Grande, Giuseppe, 1997.
"Properties of the monetary conditions index,"
23515, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard Dennis, 1997. "A measure of monetary conditions," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series G97/1, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Mayes, David G. & Razzak, W. A., 1998. "Transparency and accountability: Empirical models and policy making at the Reserve Bank of New Zealand," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 377-394, July.
- Kari H. Eika & Neil R. Ericsson & Ragnar Nymoen, 1996.
"Hazards in implementing a monetary conditions index,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
568, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Eika, Kari H & Ericsson, Neil R & Nymoen, Ragnar, 1996. "Hazards in Implementing a Monetary Conditions Index," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(4), pages 765-90, November.
- Eika, K.H. & Ericsson, N.R. & Nymoen, R., 1996. "Hazards in Implementing a Monetary Conditions Index," Memorandum 32/1996, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:23534. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.