Determining The Value-at-risk In The Shadow Of The Power Law: The Case Of The SP-500 Index
In extant financial market models, including the Black-Scholes’ contruct, the dramatic events of October 1987 and August 2007 are totally unexpected, because these models are based on the assumptions of ‘independent price fluctuations’ and the existence of some ‘fixed-point equilibrium’. This paper argues that the convolution of a generalized fractional Brownian motion (into an array in frequency or time domain) and their corresponding amplitude spectra describes the surface of the attractor driving the evolution of prices. This more realistic approach shows that the SP-500 Index is characterized by a high long term Hurst exponent and hence by a ‘black noise’ with a power spectrum proportional to f-b (b > 2). In that set up, the above dramatic events are expected and their frequencies are determined. The paper also constructs an exhaustive frequency-variation relationship which can be used as practical guide to assess the ‘value at risk’.
|Date of creation:||09 May 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Merton, 1973.
"Theory of Rational Option Pricing,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Shiller, Robert J, 1981.
"Do Stock Prices Move Too Much to be Justified by Subsequent Changes in Dividends?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 421-36, June.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1980. "Do Stock Prices Move Too Much to be Justified by Subsequent Changes in Dividends?," NBER Working Papers 0456, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mandelbrot, Benoit B, 1971. "When Can Price Be Arbitraged Efficiently? A Limit to the Validity of the Random Walk and Martingale Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(3), pages 225-36, August.
- Greene, Myron T. & Fielitz, Bruce D., 1977. "Long-term dependence in common stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 339-349, May.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:22604. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.