Double Impact on CVA for CDS: Wrong-Way Risk with Stochastic Recovery
Current CVA modeling framework has ignored the impact of stochastic recovery rate. Due to the possible negative correlation between default and recovery rate, stochastic recovery rate could have a doubling effect on wrong-way risk. In the case of a payer CDS, when counterparty defaults, the CDS value could be higher due to default contagion while the recovery rate may also be lower if the economy is in a downturn. Using our recently proposed model of correlated stochastic recovery in the default time Gaussian Copula framework, we demonstrate this double impact on wrong-way risk in the CVA calculation for a payer CDS. We also present a new form of Gaussian copula that correlates both default time and recovery rate.
|Date of creation:||31 Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Damiano Brigo & Kyriakos Chourdakis, 2009. "Counterparty Risk For Credit Default Swaps: Impact Of Spread Volatility And Default Correlation," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(07), pages 1007-1026.
- Li, Hui, 2009. "On Models of Stochastic Recovery for Base Correlation," MPRA Paper 15750, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Damiano Brigo & Agostino Capponi, 2008. "Bilateral counterparty risk valuation with stochastic dynamical models and application to Credit Default Swaps," Papers 0812.3705, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2009.
- Christophette Blanchet-Scalliet & Fr\'ed\'eric Patras, 2008. "Counterparty risk valuation for CDS," Papers 0807.0309, arXiv.org.
- Li, Hui, 2008. "CVA calculation for CDS on super senior ABS CDO," MPRA Paper 17945, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Li, Hui, 2009. "Extension of Spot Recovery Model for Gaussian Copula," MPRA Paper 17944, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19684. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.