Indeterminacy in Two-Sector Models of Endogenous Growth with Leisure
This paper demonstrates that preference structure may play a pivotal role in generating indeterminacy in the stylized model of endogenous growth. By examining two-sector models of endogenous growth with human capital formation, we show that if the utility function of the representative family is not additively separable between consumption and pure leisure time, indeterminacy may hold even if production technologies satisfy social constant returns. We also examine models with quality leisure in which leisure activities require human capital as well as time. In contrast to the pure-leisure time model, we find that the quality-leisure time model generally needs increasing returns to scale technologies to generate indeterminacy. It is also shown that nonseparability of utility function is crucial for generating indeterminacy in the quality leisure model as well.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie, 1997.
"Comparing Four Models of Aggregate Fluctuations due to Self-Fulfilling Expectations,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 96-147, January.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe, 1995. "Comparing four models of aggregate fluctuations due to self-fulfilling expectations," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-17, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mino, Kazuo, 2001. "Indeterminacy and Endogenous Growth with Social Constant Returns," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 203-222, March.
- Danyang Xie, 2002.
"Divergence in Economic Performance: Transitional Dynamics with Multiple Equilibria,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Xie Danyang, 1994. "Divergence in Economic Performance: Transitional Dynamics with Multiple Equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 97-112, June.
- Perli, Roberto, 1998.
"Indeterminacy, home production, and the business cycle: A calibrated analysis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 105-125, February.
- Roberto Perli, . "Indeterminacy, Home Production, and the Business Cycle: a Calibrated Analysis," CARESS Working Papres 97-4, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Roberto Perli, 1995. "Indeterminacy, Home Production, and the Business Cycle: a Calibrated Analysis," Home Pages _042, University of Pennsylvania.
- Salvador Ortigueira, 2000.
"A dynamic analysis of an endogenous growth model with leisure,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 16(1), pages 43-62.
- Salvador Ortigueira, 1997. "A Dynamic Analysis of an Endogenous Growth Model with Leisure," Working Papers 9705, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Wen, Yi, 1998. "Capacity Utilization under Increasing Returns to Scale," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 7-36, July.
- Pelloni, Alessandra & Waldmann, Robert, 1998.
"Stability properties of a growth model,"
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 55-60, October.
- Harrison, Sharon G., 2001. "Indeterminacy in a model with sector-specific externalities," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 747-764, May.
- Pelloni, Alessandra & Waldmann, Robert, 2000.
"Can waste improve welfare?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 45-79, July.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1990. "Supply-Side Economics: An Analytical Review," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(2), pages 293-316, April.
- Mino, Kazuo, 1999. "Non-separable utility function and indeterminacy of equilibrium in a model with human capital," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 311-317, March.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Mino, Kazuo, 1996. "Analysis of a Two-Sector Model of Endogenous Growth with Capital Income Taxation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(1), pages 227-51, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16994. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.