Indian G-Sec Market: How the Term Structure Reacts to Monetary Policy
Against the backdrop of interest rate risk in the fixed income portfolios of the financial institutions in India that arose since the first quarter of the current financial year 2008-09 the influence of monetary policy on the term structure emerged as an important issue for research purposes. In this context the findings in this paper are (i) strongest sensitivity of the term structure at the short end compared to other parts to expected changes in monetary policy, (ii) existence of unutilized arbitraged opportunities in the case of short term securities in absence of stripping, (iii) a mitigating tendency in the fluctuations of Nelson-Siegel-Svensson short rate and the proxy monetary policy rate during the post sample period and (iv) existence of a fear among the market participants about the future liquidity conditions during the last quarter of 2007-08.
|Date of creation:||02 Jul 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bekaert, Geert & Hodrick, Robert J. & Marshall, David A., 1997.
"On biases in tests of the expectations hypothesis of the term structure of interest rates,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 309-348, June.
- Geert Bekaert & Robert J. Hodrick & David A. Marshall, 1996. "On Biases in Tests of the Expecations Hypothesis of the Term Structure Of Interest Rates," NBER Technical Working Papers 0191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geert Bekaert & Robert J. Hodrick & David Marshall, 1996. "On biases in tests of the expectations hypothesis of the term structure of interest rates," Working Paper Series, Issues in Financial Regulation WP-96-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- John C. Cox & Jonathan E. Ingersoll Jr. & Stephen A. Ross, 2005. "A Theory Of The Term Structure Of Interest Rates," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 5, pages 129-164 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Choudhry, Moorad & Lizzio, Michele, 2004. "Advanced Fixed Income Analysis," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780750662635.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Hany S. Guirguis & Christos I. Giannikos, 2007. "A note on the effect of expected changes in monetary policy on long-term interest rates," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 10, pages 99-114, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16436. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.