To Estimate An Equation Explaining The Determinants Of Dowry
The focus of this study is to estimate an equation explaining the determinants of dowry. In this paper, we address a very common socio-economic problem for sub-continent, the problem of dowry. From a social planner's perspective, who wants to reduce overall dowry transfers, we consider the effect of change in a few relevant parameters like husband height, wife height, wet land, dry land, years of marriage and years of education for women & men on these decisions. According to the various studies the dowry phenomenon is exist heavily in rural sub-continent, at the same time research related to this system is very rare. The aim of this paper is to estimate an equation explaining the determinants of dowry. Several interpretations for dowry are distinguished using a simple theo¬retical framework and the predictions of this model are tested. Using the data provided us for this project is tested and reliable so that we will be able to draw our own testable relationships and determinants of dowry. The data will be use in the following sections for further analysis by estimating the determinants of dowry using multiple regression analysis. The study suggests that even though there are religious and cultural differences, the system of dowry in Pakistan appears to be for the same reasons as in India A theoretical framework was developed that was inclusive of all the required variables by testing through the multiple regression analysis and the experimental findings shows the independent variable used to test have an impact on dowry by applying multiple regression step-wise method.
|Date of creation:||10 Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Siwan Anderson, 2003. "Why Dowry Payments Declined with Modernization in Europe but Are Rising in India," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(2), pages 269-310, April.
- Trevon D. Logan & Raj Arunachalam, 2014.
"Is There Dowry Inflation in South Asia?,"
Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(2), pages 81-94, June.
- Vijayendra Rao, .
"The Rising Price of Husbands: A Hedonic Analysis of Dowry Increases in Rural India,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center
91-6, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Rao, Vijayendra, 1993. "The Rising Price of Husbands: A Hedonic Analysis of Dowry Increases in Rural India," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 666-77, August.
- Dalmia, Sonia, 2004. "A hedonic analysis of marriage transactions in India: estimating determinants of dowries and demand for groom characteristics in marriage," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 235-255, September.
- Anderson, K.S., 2000. "The Economics of Dowry Payments in Pakistan," Discussion Paper 2000-82, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16046. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.