Convergencia, integración y competencia en los mercados financieros europeos
[Convergence, integration and competition in the European financial markets]
The aim of this paper is to analyze the process of integration and competition in European financial markets. We explore the obstacles or barriers which hinder this process, as well as the main drivers and initiatives which have been implemented to move financial integration forward. According to most of the evidence on this subject, the process of financial integration has indeed advanced, but the process is slow and far from having been achieved in many areas of financial activity, in particular, retail markets. Regarding competition, the evidence is not so conclusive. The fact is that although absolute margins have been narrowed, relative margins – as an indicator of market power - have increased. The different kinds of barriers (fiscal, regulatory, institutional, etc) which protect national markets from foreign competition are the main obstacles to this process of integration and competition.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:||2004|
|Publication status:||Published in Papeles de Economía Española 101 (2004): pp. 114-136|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Inês Cabral & Frank Dierick & Jukka Vesala, 2002. "Banking integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 06, European Central Bank.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2003.
"Factors Explaining the Interest Margin in the Banking Sectors of the European Union,"
15252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2004. "Factors explaining the interest margin in the banking sectors of the European Union," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2259-2281, September.
- Beckmann, Rainer & Eppendorfer, Carsten & Neimke, Markus, 2002. "Financial integration within the European Union: Towards a single market for insurance," MPRA Paper 5280, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Heinemann, Friedrich & Jopp, Mathias, 2002. "The benefits of a working European Retail Market for financial services: Report to European Financial Services Round Table," ZEW Expertises, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research, number 110486.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15889. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.