Overcoming Innovation Limits through Outward FDI: The Overseas Acquisition Strategy of Indian Pharmaceutical Firms
A host of strategic government policies including a process patent regime led to the rise of Indian pharmaceutical firms with significant process development capabilities. With policies getting liberalized overtime and a product patent regime in place, now firms’ survival crucially depends on their abilities to develop new products and brand creating exercise. Indian pharmaceutical firms with their inadequate product development capabilities are clearly at serious risk. In this context, an increasing number of Indian pharmaceutical firms are observed to be using acquisition as a strategy to overcome their limited innovation strength by accessing new products and their technologies, skills and new markets. Overseas acquisitions represent both challenges and opportunities for Indian pharmaceutical firms aspiring to emerge as global entities based on advance technologies.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, .
"Strengthening Intellectual Property Rights Globally: Impact on India’s Pharmaceutical Exports,"
0602, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID).
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, 2007. "Strengthening Intellectual Property Rights Globally: Impact On India'S Pharmaceutical Exports," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 52(02), pages 233-250.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2008. "Indian Direct Investment in Developing Countries: Emerging Trends and Development Impacts," MPRA Paper 12323, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean O. Lanjouw, 1998.
"The Introduction of Pharmaceutical Product Patents in India: "Heartless Exploitation of the Poor and Suffering"?,"
NBER Working Papers
6366, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean O Lanjouw, 2003. "The Introduction of Pharmaceutical Product Patents in India: Heartless Exploitation of the Poor and Suffering?," Levine's Working Paper Archive 618897000000000598, David K. Levine.
- Lanjouw, J.O., 1997. "The Introduction of Pharmaceutical Product Patents in India: "Heartless Exploitation of the Poor and Suffering"?," Papers 775, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Alakshendra, Abhinav, 2006.
"Overseas Acquisition versus Greenfield Foreign Investment: Which Internationalization Strategy is better for Indian Pharmaceutical Enterprises?,"
12339, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan & Abhinav Alakshendra, . "Overseas Acquisition Versus Greenfield Foreign Investment: Which Internationalization Strategy is better for Indian Pharmaceutical Enterprises?," Working Papers 0607, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:12362. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.