Long-run relationship between inflation and growth in a New Keynesian framework
This paper examines the steady-state growth effect of inflation in an endogenous growth model in which the Calvo-type nominal rigidity with endogenous contract duration and monetary friction via wage-payment-in-advance constraint are assumed. On the balanced-growth path in this model, the marginal growth effect of inflation is weakly negative or even positive at low inflation rates because the effect on average markup offsets the negative marginal growth effect through the monetary friction but the growth effect of inflation is negative and convex at higher inflation rates because the frequency of price adjustment approaches that of the flexible-price economy and the growth effect through the nominal rigidity is dominated by the growth effect through the monetary friction. With a plausible calibration of the structural parameters, this model generates a relationship between inflation and growth that is consistent with empirical evidence, especially in industrial countries.
|Date of creation:||05 Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Max Gillman & Michal Kejak, 2005. "Contrasting Models of the Effect of Inflation on Growth," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 113-136, 02.
- Fu-Sheng Hung, 2008. "Non-productive consumption loans and threshold effects in the inflation-growth relationship," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(2), pages 318-342, April.
- A. Senhadji Semlali & Mohsin S. Khan, 2000.
"Threshold Effects in the Relationship Between Inflation and Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
00/110, International Monetary Fund.
- By Mohsin S. Khan & Abdelhak S. Senhadji, 2001. "Threshold Effects in the Relationship Between Inflation and Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 1.
- Hiroki Arato, 2009.
"Long-run relationship between inflation and growth in a New Keynesian framework,"
AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 1863-1872.
- Arato, Hiroki, 2008. "Long-run relationship between inflation and growth in a New Keynesian framework," MPRA Paper 11388, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Levin, Andrew & Yun, Tack, 2007. "Reconsidering the natural rate hypothesis in a New Keynesian framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(5), pages 1344-1365, July.
- Niloy Bose, 2002. "Inflation, the credit market, and economic growth," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(3), pages 412-434, July.
- Peter Funk & Bettina Kromen, 2006. "Short-term price rigidity in an endogenous growth model: Non-Superneutrality and a non-vertical long-term Phillips-curve," Working Paper Series in Economics 29, University of Cologne, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11388. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.