In Search of Market Index Leaders: Evidence from World Financial Markets
This paper investigates the presence of Granger-causality amongst world market indices: S&P 500, Dow Jones Industrial Average, Eurostoxx 50, Nikkei, FTSE 100, from January 2nd 1987 to October 17th 2008. Using daily market returns I performed a Granger-causality test, based on the Vector Autoregressive (VAR) model, in order to detect the causalities amongst indices. Different sub-samples were considered, which take into account the distinction between bearish and bullish phases of the markets. Results show that there is high Granger-causality amongst stock returns in every phase of financial markets, but that a real market index leader does not exist, except for Nikkei and Eurostoxx in the third quartile.
|Date of creation:||29 Oct 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pan, Ming-Shiun & Liu, Y. Angela & Roth, Herbert J., 1999. "Common stochastic trends and volatility in Asian-Pacific equity markets," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 161-172.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- Aldrin Herwany & Erie Febrian, 2009.
"Co-integration and Causality Analysis on Developed Asian Markets For Risk Management & Portfolio Selection,"
Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS)
200909, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised Sep 2009.
- Aldrin Herwany & Erie Febrian, 2010. "Co-integration and Causality Analysis on Developed Asian Markets For Risk Management & Portfolio Selection," Working Papers in Business, Management and Finance 201001, Department of Management and Business, Padjadjaran University, revised Jan 2010.
- Herwany, Aldrin & Febrian, Erie, 2008. "Co-integration and Causality Analysis on Developed Asian Markets For Risk Management & Portfolio Selection," MPRA Paper 10259, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Granger, Clive W J & Hallman, Jeffrey J, 1991. "Long Memory Series with Attractors," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 53(1), pages 11-26, February.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1981. "Some properties of time series data and their use in econometric model specification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-130, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11292. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.