Covid-19 and the Political Economy of Mass Hysteria
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Philipp Bagus & José Antonio Peña-Ramos & Antonio Sánchez-Bayón, 2021. "COVID-19 and the Political Economy of Mass Hysteria," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 18(4), pages 1-15, February.
References listed on IDEAS
- Cuiyan Wang & Riyu Pan & Xiaoyang Wan & Yilin Tan & Linkang Xu & Cyrus S. Ho & Roger C. Ho, 2020. "Immediate Psychological Responses and Associated Factors during the Initial Stage of the 2019 Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Epidemic among the General Population in China," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 17(5), pages 1-25, March.
- Bruce Sacerdote & Ranjan Sehgal & Molly Cook, 2020. "Why Is All COVID-19 News Bad News?," NBER Working Papers 28110, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hayek, F. A., 2012. "Hayek on Hayek," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226321202 edited by Kresge, Stephen & Wenar, Leif, December.
- Philipp Bagus, 2011. "The Eurosystem: Costs and Tragedies," Chapters, in: David Howden (ed.), Institutions in Crisis, chapter 7, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Morris Altman, 2020. "Smart thinking, lockdown and COVID-19: Implications for public policy," Journal of Behavioral Economics for Policy, Society for the Advancement of Behavioral Economics (SABE), vol. 4(S), pages 23-33, June.
- Adrian Bartoszek & Dariusz Walkowiak & Agnieszka Bartoszek & Grzegorz Kardas, 2020. "Mental Well-Being (Depression, Loneliness, Insomnia, Daily Life Fatigue) during COVID-19 Related Home-Confinement—A Study from Poland," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 17(20), pages 1-12, October.
- Friedrich A. Hayek, 2016. "The Meaning of Competition," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 13(2), pages 359â€“372-3, May.
- Hayek, F. A., 2011. "The Constitution of Liberty," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, number 9780226315379 edited by Hamowy, Ronald, December.
- Yang Yang & Keqiao Liu & Siqi Li & Man Shu, 2020. "Social Media Activities, Emotion Regulation Strategies, and Their Interactions on People’s Mental Health in COVID-19 Pandemic," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 17(23), pages 1-16, December.
- Rannveig Sigurvinsdottir & Ingibjorg E. Thorisdottir & Haukur Freyr Gylfason, 2020. "The Impact of COVID-19 on Mental Health: The Role of Locus on Control and Internet Use," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 17(19), pages 1-15, September.
- Ioulia Solomou & Fofi Constantinidou, 2020. "Prevalence and Predictors of Anxiety and Depression Symptoms during the COVID-19 Pandemic and Compliance with Precautionary Measures: Age and Sex Matter," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 17(14), pages 1-19, July.
- Follert, Florian & Naumann, Chantal & Thieme, Lutz, 2020. "Between scientific publication and public perception: Some economic remarks on the allocation of time in science," Working Papers of the European Institute for Socioeconomics 34, European Institute for Socioeconomics (EIS), Saarbrücken.
- Anthony Gill & Erik Lundsgaarde, 2004. "State Welfare Spending and Religiosity," Rationality and Society, , vol. 16(4), pages 399-436, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jesús Huerta de Soto & Antonio Sánchez-Bayón & Philipp Bagus, 2021. "Principles of Monetary & Financial Sustainability and Wellbeing in a Post-COVID-19 World: The Crisis and Its Management," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 13(9), pages 1-11, April.
- Yeshwant Naik, 2021. "Covid 19: Human Rights and State Responsibility," Review of European Studies, Canadian Center of Science and Education, vol. 13(3), pages 1-7, September.
- Werner Gleißner & Florian Follert & Frank Daumann & Frank Leibbrand, 2021. "EU’s Ordering of COVID-19 Vaccine Doses: Political Decision-Making under Uncertainty," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 18(4), pages 1-12, February.
- Moshe Yanovskiy & Yehoshua Socol, 2022. "Are Lockdowns Effective in Managing Pandemics?," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 19(15), pages 1-12, July.
- Victor I. Espinosa & Miguel A. Alonso Neira & Jesús Huerta de Soto, 2021. "Principles of Sustainable Economic Growth and Development: A Call to Action in a Post-COVID-19 World," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 13(23), pages 1-14, November.
- Barbara Cieślińska & Anna Janiszewska, 2022. "Demographic and Social Dimension of the COVID-19 Pandemic in Polish Cities: Excess Deaths and Residents’ Fears," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 14(13), pages 1-24, July.
- Miloš Milosavljević & Milan Okanović & Slavica Cicvarić Kostić & Marija Jovanović & Milenko Radonić, 2023. "COVID-19 and Behavioral Factors of e-Payment Use: Evidence from Serbia," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 15(4), pages 1-13, February.
- Frank Daumann & Florian Follert & Werner Gleißner & Endre Kamarás & Chantal Naumann, 2021. "Political Decision Making in the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case of Germany from the Perspective of Risk Management," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 19(1), pages 1-23, December.
- Florian Follert & Werner Gleißner & Dominik Möst, 2021. "What Can Politics Learn from Management Decisions? A Case Study of Germany’s Exit from Nuclear Energy after Fukushima," Energies, MDPI, vol. 14(13), pages 1-15, June.
- José Antonio Peña-Ramos & Fátima Recuero-López & Antonio Sánchez-Bayón & Francisco Javier Sastre, 2021. "Evaluation of Spanish Health System during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Accountability and Wellbeing Results," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 18(24), pages 1-25, December.
- Wojciech Charemza & Svetlana Makarova & Krzysztof Rybiński, 2023. "Anti-pandemic restrictions, uncertainty and sentiment in seven countries," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 56(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Miguel Ángel Echarte Fernández & Sergio Luis Náñez Alonso & Javier Jorge-Vázquez & Ricardo Francisco Reier Forradellas, 2021. "Central Banks’ Monetary Policy in the Face of the COVID-19 Economic Crisis: Monetary Stimulus and the Emergence of CBDCs," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 13(8), pages 1-18, April.
- Victor I. Espinosa & William Hongsong Wang & Jesús Huerta de Soto, 2022. "Principles of Nudging and Boosting: Steering or Empowering Decision-Making for Behavioral Development Economics," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 14(4), pages 1-18, February.
- Esther González Arnedo & Jesús Alberto Valero-Matas & Antonio Sánchez-Bayón, 2021. "Spanish Tourist Sector Sustainability: Recovery Plan, Green Jobs and Wellbeing Opportunity," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 13(20), pages 1-17, October.
- José Antonio Peña-Ramos & María del Pino-García & Antonio Sánchez-Bayón, 2021. "The Spanish Energy Transition into the EU Green Deal: Alignments and Paradoxes," Energies, MDPI, vol. 14(9), pages 1-18, April.
- Leah F. Vosko & Cynthia Spring, 2022. "COVID-19 Outbreaks in Canada and the Crisis of Migrant Farmworkers’ Social Reproduction: Transnational Labour and the Need for Greater Accountability Among Receiving States," Journal of International Migration and Integration, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 1765-1791, December.
- Martín García Vaquero & Antonio Sánchez-Bayón & José Lominchar, 2021. "European Green Deal and Recovery Plan: Green Jobs, Skills and Wellbeing Economics in Spain," Energies, MDPI, vol. 14(14), pages 1-20, July.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Marlene Camacho-Rivera & Jessica Yasmine Islam & Denise Christina Vidot & Sunit Jariwala, 2021. "Prevalence and Risk Factors of COVID-19 Symptoms among U.S. Adults with Allergies," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 18(5), pages 1-9, February.
- Krzysztof Rząsa & Mateusz Ciski, 2022. "Influence of the Demographic, Social, and Environmental Factors on the COVID-19 Pandemic—Analysis of the Local Variations Using Geographically Weighted Regression," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 19(19), pages 1-26, September.
- Alexander Bäuerle & Venja Musche & Kira Schmidt & Adam Schweda & Madeleine Fink & Benjamin Weismüller & Hannah Kohler & Ken Herrmann & Mitra Tewes & Dirk Schadendorf & Eva-Maria Skoda & Martin Teufel, 2021. "Mental Health Burden of German Cancer Patients before and after the Outbreak of COVID-19: Predictors of Mental Health Impairment," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 18(5), pages 1-12, February.
- Maria Shuk Yu Hung & Stanley Kam Ki Lam & Liliane Chui King Chan & Sisi Pui Shan Liu & Meyrick Chum Ming Chow, 2021. "The Psychological and Quality of Life Impacts on Women in Hong Kong during the COVID-19 Pandemic," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 18(13), pages 1-12, June.
- Zbigniew Izdebski & Jolanta Słowikowska-Hilczer & Joanna Mazur, 2022. "The Effect of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Assessment of Sexual Life—Repeated Cross-Sectional Surveys among Polish Adults in 2017, 2020 and 2021," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 19(7), pages 1-19, March.
- Yolanda Marcén-Román & Angel Gasch-Gallen & Irene Isabel Vela Martín de la Mota & Estela Calatayud & Isabel Gómez-Soria & Beatriz Rodríguez-Roca, 2021. "Stress Perceived by University Health Sciences Students, 1 Year after COVID-19 Pandemic," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 18(10), pages 1-10, May.
- Agata Chudzicka-Czupała & Soon-Kiat Chiang & Damian Grabowski & Marta Żywiołek-Szeja & Matthew Quek & Bartosz Pudełek & Kayla Teopiz & Roger Ho & Roger S. McIntyre, 2022. "Predictors of Psychological Distress across Three Time Periods during the COVID-19 Pandemic in Poland," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 19(22), pages 1-16, November.
- Peng-Wei Wang & Nai-Ying Ko & Yu-Ping Chang & Chia-Fen Wu & Wei-Hsin Lu & Cheng-Fang Yen, 2020. "Subjective Deterioration of Physical and Psychological Health during the COVID-19 Pandemic in Taiwan: Their Association with the Adoption of Protective Behaviors and Mental Health Problems," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 17(18), pages 1-18, September.
- Bruce Caldwell & Leonidas Montes, 2015. "Friedrich Hayek and his visits to Chile," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer;Society for the Development of Austrian Economics, vol. 28(3), pages 261-309, September.
- Ankica Kosic & Tamara Džamonja Ignjatović & Nebojša Petrović, 2021. "A Cross-Cultural Study of Distress during COVID-19 Pandemic: Some Protective and Risk Factors," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 18(14), pages 1-15, July.
- Fernández-Villaverde, Jesús, 2016.
"Magna Carta, the rule of law, and the limits on government,"
International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(S), pages 22-28.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde, 2015. "Magna Carta, the Rule of Law, and the Limits on Government," PIER Working Paper Archive 15-035, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, revised 15 Oct 2015.
- Fernandez-Villaverde, Jesus, 2015. "Magna Carta, the Rule of Law and the Limits on Government," MPRA Paper 69862, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2015.
- Sandra Figueiredo & Raquel João & Laura Alho & João Hipólito, 2022. "Psychological Research on Sleep Problems and Adjustment of Working Hours during Teleworking in the COVID-19 Pandemic: An Exploratory Study," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 19(21), pages 1-14, November.
- Bruce Caldwell, 2020. "The Road to Serfdom after 75 Years," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 58(3), pages 720-748, September.
- Mitsuru Mori & Toshiaki Seko & Shunichi Ogawa, 2022. "Association of Social Capital and Locus of Control with Perceived Health during the COVID-19 Pandemic in Japan," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 19(15), pages 1-9, August.
- Adrianna Wielgopolan & Maciej Pastwa & Aleksandra Warkocka & Kamil Konrad Imbir, 2022. "Anyone but Me: Unrealistic Optimism, Emotions and Anxiety in the Face of COVID-19 Pandemic," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 20(1), pages 1-13, December.
- G. R. Steele, 2005. "Psychology, social evolution and liberalism: a Hayekian trinity," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 571-586.
- Anna Idzik(199) & Anna Leńczuk-Gruba & Ewa Kobos & Mariola Pietrzak & Beata Dziedzic, 2021. "Loneliness and Depression among Women in Poland during the COVID-19 Pandemic," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 18(20), pages 1-16, October.
- Hosam Alzahrani & Fahad Alshehri & Muhsen Alsufiany & Hatem H. Allam & Rania Almeheyawi & Marwa M. Eid & Kabir P. Sadarangani, 2021. "Impact of the 2019 Coronavirus Disease Pandemic on Health-Related Quality of Life and Psychological Status: The Role of Physical Activity," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 18(8), pages 1-13, April.
- Federica Andrei & Giacomo Mancini & Francesca Agostini & Maria Stella Epifanio & Marco Andrea Piombo & Martina Riolo & Vittoria Spicuzza & Erica Neri & Rosa Lo Baido & Sabina La Grutta & Elena Trombin, 2022. "Quality of Life and Job Loss during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Mediation by Hopelessness and Moderation by Trait Emotional Intelligence," IJERPH, MDPI, vol. 19(5), pages 1-12, February.
- Richard M. Ebeling, 2014. "Hayek and Mises," Chapters, in: Roger W. Garrison & Norman Barry (ed.), Elgar Companion to Hayekian Economics, chapter 7, pages 138-164, Edward Elgar Publishing.
More about this item
Keywordsmass hysteria; nocebo effects; contagion; mass media; social media; public health; law and economics; political economy; groupthink; culture of fear; emotional contagion; anxiety; policy error; COVID-19;
All these keywords.
- A10 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - General
- B53 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Austrian
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-HEA-2021-03-01 (Health Economics)
- NEP-HIS-2021-03-01 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HME-2021-03-01 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:106158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Joachim Winter (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.