Management Control System Use and Team Commitment
Recent Organizations are adopting teams’ structures to react to competition and enhance performance, but they do not fully achieve these objectives. Psychology literature argues that one of the main reasons for that is the lack of team commitment, which could be enhanced partially for the social identity of the team. Accounting literature argues that management control systems can be used as mechanism to motivate individuals in teams, and so enhance commitment. Using an experiment conducted among 120 post-graduate students, we test how team social identity and the interactive and diagnostic uses of the management control systems influence commitment to team’s objectives. Results generally support our hypotheses. Our findings show that an interactive use of management controls in teams is positively related to high level of teams’ commitment. Moreover, our results also support that the effect of social identity on teams´ commitment is moderated by the level of interactive use of management control systems in teams.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carretera de Utrera km.1, 41013 Sevilla|
Phone: + 34 954 34 9283
Fax: + 34 954 34 8353
Web page: http://www.upo.es/dde/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simons, Robert, 1990. "The role of management control systems in creating competitive advantage: New perspectives," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 127-143.
- Sprinkle, Geoffrey B., 2003. "Perspectives on experimental research in managerial accounting," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 287-318.
- Urs Fischbacher, 2007. "z-Tree: Zurich toolbox for ready-made economic experiments," Experimental Economics, Springer;Economic Science Association, vol. 10(2), pages 171-178, June.
- Román, Francisco J., 2009. "An analysis of changes to a team-based incentive plan and its effects on productivity, product quality, and absenteeism," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 589-618, July.
- Henri, Jean-Francois, 2006. "Management control systems and strategy: A resource-based perspective," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 529-558, August.
- Bisbe, Josep & Batista-Foguet, Joan-Manuel & Chenhall, Robert, 2007. "Defining management accounting constructs: A methodological note on the risks of conceptual misspecification," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 32(7-8), pages 789-820.
- Rowe, Casey & Birnberg, Jacob G. & Shields, Michael D., 2008. "Effects of organizational process change on responsibility accounting and managers' revelations of private knowledge," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 164-198.
- Vosselman, Ed & Meer-Kooistra, Jeltje van der, 2009. "Accounting for control and trust building in interfirm transactional relationships," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 267-283, February.
- Bisbe, Josep & Otley, David, 2004. "The effects of the interactive use of management control systems on product innovation," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 709-737, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pab:wpbsad:11.02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicación Digital - UPO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.