Estimating Firm-Level Effective Marginal Tax Rates and the User Cost of Capital in New Zealand
Effective marginal tax rates (EMTRs) can be very different from the statutory rate and vary across firms, reflecting such factors as the extent and nature of taxable deductions (losses, depreciation), asset and ownership structures, and debt/equity financing. We estimate firm-specific EMTRs and related user cost of capital (UCC) measures allowing for shareholder-level taxation using data for 1999/2000-2010/11 from the Longitudinal Business Database. Examining distributions of various UCC measures we find substantial firm-level heterogeneity, systematic changes as a result of tax reforms between 2004 and 2012, and systematic differences between foreign-owned and domestically-owned firms. Choices among alternative UCC measures make a difference to interpretations.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +64-4-472 2733
Fax: +64-4-473 0982
Web page: http://www.treasury.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Auerbach, Alan J, 1983.
"Taxation, Corporate Financial Policy and the Cost of Capital,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 905-40, September.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1982. "Taxation, Corporate Financial Policy and the Cost of Capital," NBER Working Papers 1026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Gilchrist & Egon Zakrajsek, 2007.
"Investment and the Cost of Capital: New Evidence from the Corporate Bond Market,"
NBER Working Papers
13174, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Gilchrist & Fabio M. Natalucci & Egon Zakrajsek, 2007. "Investment and the Cost of Capital: New Evidence from the Corporate Bond Market," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2007-027, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Stephen Bond & Jing Xing, 2010. "Corporate taxation and capital accumulation," Working Papers 1015, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Fabling, Richard & Sanderson, Lynda, 2013. "Exporting and firm performance: Market entry, investment and expansion," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 422-431.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel, 2002.
"Evaluating Tax Policy for Location Decisions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3247, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines, 2004.
"A Multinational Perspective on Capital Structure Choice and Internal Capital Markets,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2451-2487, December.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines, Jr., 2003. "A Multinational Perspective on Capital Structure Choice and Internal Capital Markets," NBER Working Papers 9715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Fabling, 2009. "A Rough Guide to New Zealand's Longitudinal Business Database," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-103, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Peter Egger & Simon Loretz & Michael Pfaffermayr & Hannes Winner, 2008.
"Firm-specific Forward-looking Effective Tax Rates,"
0811, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1980.
"Wealth Maximization and the Cost of Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
0254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benge, Matt, 1997. "Taxes, Corporate Financial Policy and Investment Decisions in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 73(220), pages 1-15, March.
- Kenneth McKenzie & Jack Mintz, 1992. "Tax Effects on the Cost of Capital," NBER Chapters, in: Canada-U.S. Tax Comparisons, pages 189-216 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chad Syverson, 2010.
"What Determines Productivity?,"
NBER Working Papers
15712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schaller, Huntley, 2006. "Estimating the long-run user cost elasticity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 725-736, May.
- Kenneth McKenzie & Jack Mintz & Kimberly Scharf, 1997. "Measuring Effective Tax Rates in the Presence of Multiple Inputs: A Production Based Approach," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 337-359, July.
- Benge, Matt, 1998. "Depreciation Provisions and Investment Incentives under Full Imputation," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 74(227), pages 329-45, December.
- Michael P. Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Alexander Klemm, 2002. "Corporate income tax reforms and international tax competition," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 449-495, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nzt:nztwps:13/29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web and Publishing Team, The Treasury)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.