What money can't buy: allocations with priority lists, lotteries and queues
I study the welfare optimal allocation of a number of identical and indivisible objects to a set of heterogeneous risk-neutral agents under the hypothesis that money is not available. Agents have independent private values, which represent the maximum time that they are will- ing to wait in line to obtain a good. A priority list, which ranks agents according to their expected values, is optimal when hazard rates of the distributions of values are increasing. Queues, which allocates the ob- ject to those who wait in line the longest, are optimal in a symmetric setting with decreasing hazard rates.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science, Northwestern University, 580 Jacobs Center, 2001 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60208-2014|
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/math/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John, 1992.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 579-99, June.
- Surajeet Chakravarty & Todd R. Kaplan, 2010.
"Optimal Allocation without Transfer Payments,"
1004, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Winston Koh & Zhenlin Yang & Lijing Zhu, 2006. "Lottery Rather than Waiting-line Auction," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 27(2), pages 289-310, October.
- Yoon, Kiho, 2011.
"Optimal mechanism design when both allocative inefficiency and expenditure inefficiency matter,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 670-676.
- Holt, Charles A, Jr & Sherman, Roger, 1982. "Waiting-Line Auctions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(2), pages 280-94, April.
- Taylor, Grant A. & Tsui, Kevin K. K. & Zhu, Lijing, 2003. "Lottery or waiting-line auction?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(5-6), pages 1313-1334, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nwu:cmsems:1482. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fran Walker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.