Predicting the Factor Content of Foreign Trade: Theory and Evidence
This paper examines the multi-cone specification of the factor proportion theory of international trade. I show that Helpman's bilateral restrictions on the factor of content of trade, which have found recent empirical support by Choi and Krishna (2004), need to be amended to account for multilateralism. I identify additional restrictions and show that these restrictions form the building block for a multi-cone factor content prediction which generalizes Alan Deardorff's well-known chain of comparative advantage prediction to multiple countries and factors. Applying Choi and Krishna 's data set to this multi-lateral specification, I find little empirical support for the multi-cone prediction.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD|
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gep/index.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Debaere, Peter & Demiroglu, Ufuk, 2003. "On the similarity of country endowments," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 101-136, January.
- Yong_Seok Choi & Pravin Krishna, 2000.
"The Factor Content of Bilateral Trade:an Empirical Test,"
2000-11, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Yong-Seok Choi & Pravin Krishna, 2004. "The Factor Content of Bilateral Trade: An Empirical Test," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(4), pages 887-914, August.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Choudhri, Ehsan U., 1982. "The factor content of international trade without factor-price equalization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 277-283, May.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 1979. "Weak links in the chain of comparative advantage," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 197-209, May.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "The Factor Content of Foreign Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 84-94, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notgep:07/11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.