The Continuing Debate on Health Insurance Reform
This Policy Brief provides an overview of the 2010 Affordable Care Act and perspective on some of its key provisions affecting health insurance. Following a synopsis of the main problems that confront U.S. health care and insurance, it considers the extent to which the Affordable Care Act (ACA) will affect those problems, including the ACA’s minimum medical loss ratio and rate review requirements for health insurers. It discusses the economics of the individual mandate, implications of possible court rulings on the mandate’s constitutionality, and implementation of the ACA to date. It concludes with brief description of market-oriented alternatives to the ACA that will likely be considered if the Republicans win the 2012 presidential election, retain the House, and capture a sufficient majority in the Senate.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postal: Federal Hall, 30 N. 7th St., Room 318, Terre Haute IN 47809|
Web page: http://www.indstate.edu/business/NFI/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaynor, Martin & Town, Robert J., 2011.
"Competition in Health Care Markets,"
Handbook of Health Economics,
- Martin Gaynor & Robert J. Town, 2011. "Competition in Health Care Markets," NBER Working Papers 17208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Gaynor & Robert J Town, 2012. "Competition in Health Care Markets," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 12/282, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Randall D. Cebul & James B. Rebitzer & Lowell J. Taylor & Mark E. Votruba, 2011. "Unhealthy Insurance Markets: Search Frictions and the Cost and Quality of Health Insurance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 1842-1871, August.
- Randall D. Cebul & James B. Rebitzer & Lowell J. Taylor & Mark E. Votruba, 2008. "Unhealthy Insurance Markets: Search Frictions and the Cost and Quality of Health Insurance," NBER Working Papers 14455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moriya, Asako S. & Vogt, William B. & Gaynor, Martin, 2010. "Hospital prices and market structure in the hospital and insurance industries," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 459-479, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nfi:nfipbs:2011-pb-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ray Thomas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.