Determinants of Smoking Cessation: An Analysis of Young Adult Men and Women
Substantial econometric efforts have been devoted to examining the impacts prices and tobacco control policies have on smoking propensity and intensity. However, little is known about the effects prices, smoking restrictions, and other influences have on smoking cessation. This paper uses longitudinal data from the Monitoring the Future Surveys, augmented with cigarette price and policy-related measures to estimate smoking cessation equations for young adult males and females separately. The estimates clearly indicate that increases in cigarette prices would lead a significant number of young adults to quit smoking. In addition, policies restricting smoking in private worksites increase the probability of smoking cessation among employed young adult females.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Grossman, Michael and Chee-Ruey Hsieh (eds.) Economic analysis of substance use and abuse: The experience of developed countries and lessons for developing countries, Academia Studies in Asian Economies. Cheltenham, U.K. and Northampton, MA: Elgar, 2001.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hai-Yen Sung & Teh-Wei Hu & Theodore E. Keeler, 1994. "Cigarette Taxation And Demand: An Empirical Model," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(3), pages 91-100, 07.
- William N. Evans & Matthew C. Farrelly & Edward Montgomery, 1996.
"Do Workplace Smoking Bans Reduce Smoking?,"
NBER Working Papers
5567, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John A. Tauras & Frank J. Chaloupka, 1999. "Price, Clean Indoor Air, and Cigarette Smoking: Evidence from the Longitudinal Data for Young Adults," NBER Working Papers 6937, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Michael Grossman, 1996. "Price, Tobacco Control Policies and Youth Smoking," NBER Working Papers 5740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chaloupka, Frank J. & Wechsler, Henry, 1997.
"Price, tobacco control policies and smoking among young adults,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 359-373, June.
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Henry Wechsler, 1995. "Price, Tobacco Control Policies and Smoking Among Young Adults," NBER Working Papers 5012, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas, Stratford, 1998. "The Duration of the Smoking Habit," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Robert L. Ohsfeldt & Raymond G. Boyle & Eli L. Capilouto, 1998. "Tobacco Taxes, Smoking Restrictions, and Tobacco Use," NBER Working Papers 6486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:7262. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.