The Currency Reform as the Last Stage of Economic and Monetary Union: Some Policy Questions
The paper discusses the policy problems of a project aimed at substituting several national currencies with one single currency. While these problems are of general interest, the analysis is motivated by the plan for Economic and Monetary Union among the members of the European Community. The issues discussed include the choice of conversion rates and the effects of exchange-rate devaluations at the time of the monetary reform.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as European Economic Review Volume 36, April 1992|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1973. "Devaluation, Money, and Nontraded Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(5), pages 871-80, December.
- Greenwood, J. & Williamson, S.D., 1988.
"International Financial Intermediation And Aggregate Fluctuations Under Alternative Exchange Rate Regimes,"
RCER Working Papers
120, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Williamson, Stephen D., 1989. "International financial intermediation and aggregate fluctuations under alternative exchange rate regimes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 401-431, May.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Stephen D. Williamson, 1988. "International financial intermediation and aggregate fluctuations under alternative exchange rate regimes," Staff Report 112, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Greenwood, J. & Williamson, S.D., 1989. "International Financial Intermediation And Aggregate Fluctuations Under Alternative Exchange Rate Regimes," University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers 8902c, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Kenneth Froot & Kenneth Rogoff & Olivier Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, .
"The EMS, the EMU, and the Transition to a Common Currency,"
32216, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1991. "The EMS, the EMU, and the Transition to a Common Currency," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 269-328 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1991. "The EMS, the EMU, and the Transition to a Common Currency," NBER Working Papers 3684, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovannini, A., 1990. "The Transition To European Monetary Union," Princeton Studies in International Economics 178, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Alberto Giovannini, 1990. "European Monetary Reform: Progress and Prospects," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(2), pages 217-292.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer (ed.), 1991. "New Keynesian Economics - Vol. 1: Imperfect Competition and Sticky Prices," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262631334, June.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3917. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.