Skill vs. Luck in Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital: Evidence from Serial Entrepreneurs
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Paul Gompers & Anna Kovner & Josh Lerner, 2009.
"Specialization and Success: Evidence from Venture Capital,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 817-844, September.
- Paul Gompers & Anna Kovner & Josh Lerner, 2007. "Specialization and Success: Evidence from Venture Capital," NBER Chapters, in: Entrepreneurship: Strategy and Structure, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner, 2006. "The Venture Capital Cycle, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262572389.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1979. "A General Equilibrium Entrepreneurial Theory of Firm Formation Based on Risk Aversion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 719-748, August.
- David H. Hsu, 2004. "What Do Entrepreneurs Pay for Venture Capital Affiliation?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1805-1844, August.
- Carroll, Glenn R. & Mosakowski, Elaine M., 1987. "The Career Dynamics of Self-Employment," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt13p1n10b, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Steven Kaplan & Antoinette Schoar, 2003. "Private Equity Performance: Returns, Persistence and Capital," NBER Working Papers 9807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Ant Bozkaya & William R. Kerr, 2014. "Labor Regulations and European Venture Capital," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(4), pages 776-810, December.
- Pontus Braunerhjelm & Simon Parker, 2010.
"Josh Lerner: recipient of the 2010 Global Award for Entrepreneurship Research,"
Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 245-254, October.
- Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Parker, Simon, 2010. "Josh Lerner: Recipient of the 2010 Global Award for Entrepreneurship Research," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 233, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Andrew Metrick, 2010. "The Economics of Private Equity Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(6), pages 2303-2341, June.
- Andrew Metrick & Ayako Yasuda, 2011.
"Venture Capital and Other Private Equity: a Survey,"
European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 17(4), pages 619-654, September.
- Andrew Metrick & Ayako Yasuda, 2010. "Venture Capital and Other Private Equity: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 16652, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Metrick, Andrew & Yasuda, Ayako, 2010. "Venture Capital and Other Private Equity: A Survey," Working Papers 11-06, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Ramana Nanda & Matthew Rhodes-Kropf, 2017. "Financing Risk and Innovation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 63(4), pages 901-918, April.
- Pei-Gi Shu & Yin-Hua Yeh & Shean-Bii Chiu & Fu-Sheng Ho, 2011. "The reputation effect of venture capital," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 533-554, May.
- Yrjö Koskinen & Michael J. Rebello & Jun Wang, 2014.
"Private Information and Bargaining Power in Venture Capital Financing,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(4), pages 743-775, December.
- Koskinen, Yrjo & Rebello, Michael J. & Wang, Jun, 2006. "Private Information and Bargaining Power in Venture Capital Financing," SIFR Research Report Series 45, Institute for Financial Research, revised 08 Feb 2011.
- Werner Bönte & Oliver Falck & Stephan Heblich, 2009.
"The Impact of Regional Age Structure on Entrepreneurship,"
Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 85(3), pages 269-287, July.
- Werner Bönte & Oliver Falck & Stephan Heblich, 2009. "The Impact of Regional Age Structure on Entrepreneurship," Economic Geography, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 85(3), pages 269-287, July.
- Bönte, Werner & Falck, Oliver & Heblich, Stephan, 2009. "The impact of regional age structure on entrepreneurship," Munich Reprints in Economics 20201, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Liliana Doganova, 2009. "Entrepreneurship as a process of collective exploration," Working Papers halshs-00431695, HAL.
- Mohammadi, Ali & Shafizadeh, Mohammadmehdi & Johan, Sofia, 2014. "A Signaling Theory Of Entrepreneurial Venture’S Valuation: Evidence From Early Termination Of Venture Capital Investment," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 349, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Jackson, William E. & Bates, Timothy & Bradford, William D., 2012. "Does venture capitalist activism improve investment performance?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 342-354.
- Erik Stam & David Audretsch & Joris Meijaard, 2009.
Springer Books, in: Uwe Cantner & Jean-Luc Gaffard & Lionel Nesta (ed.), Schumpeterian Perspectives on Innovation, Competition and Growth, pages 223-237,
- Stam, F.C. & Audretsch, D.B. & Meijaard, J., 2006. "Renascent Entrepreneurship," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-017-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- John C. Dencker & Marc Gruber, 2015. "The effects of opportunities and founder experience on new firm performance," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(7), pages 1035-1052, July.
- Graciela Kuechle, 2019. "The contribution of behavior genetics to entrepreneurship: An evolutionary perspective," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 1263-1284, September.
- Robert Loos & Bernhard Schwetzler, 2017. "Fueling the buyout machine: fundraising in private equity," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer;Swiss Society for Financial Market Research, vol. 31(4), pages 397-443, November.
- Audretsch, David B & Meijaard, Joris & Stam, Erik, 2005. "Renascent Men or Entrepreneurship as a One-Night Stand: Entrepreneurial Intentions Subsequent to Firm Exit," CEPR Discussion Papers 5342, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cabolis, Christos & Dai, Mian & Serfes, Konstantinos, 2014. "Competition and Specialization: Evidence from Venture Capital," School of Economics Working Paper Series 2014-5, LeBow College of Business, Drexel University, revised 05 Oct 2014.
- Scott Shane, 2000. "Prior Knowledge and the Discovery of Entrepreneurial Opportunities," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(4), pages 448-469, August.
- Nahata, Rajarishi, 2019. "Success is good but failure is not so bad either: Serial entrepreneurs and venture capital contracting," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 624-649.
- Richard R. Townsend, 2015. "Propagation of Financial Shocks: The Case of Venture Capital," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 61(11), pages 2782-2802, November.
More about this item
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-BEC-2006-11-04 (Business Economics)
- NEP-ENT-2006-11-04 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2006-11-04 (Innovation)
- NEP-TID-2006-11-04 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:12592. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.