Inflation and Growth
Models of inflation and growth in the sixties emphasized the portfolio substitution mechanism by which higher inflation made capital more attractive to hold relative to money, leading to higher capital intensity, and in the transition period to higher growth.The empirical evidence, however, is that growth and inflation are negatively correlated. Reasons for this negative correlation are investigated, and then embodied in a simple monetary maximizing model. Higher inflation is associated with lower growth because lower real balances reduce the efficiency of factors of production, and because there may be a link between government purchases and the use of the inflation tax. Comparative steady states and comparative dynamics is analyzed and the generally negative association between inflation and growth, both in steady states and in transition processes, is demonstrated.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1983|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Feldstein, 1983.
"Inflation, Income Taxes, and the Rate of Interest: A Theoretical Analysis,"
in: Inflation, Tax Rules, and Capital Formation, pages 28-43
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1976. "Inflation, Income Taxes, and the Rate of Interest: A Theoretical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(5), pages 809-20, December.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1977. "Inflation, Capital, and Deficit Finance," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 9(1), pages 141-50, February.
- Olivera, Julio H G, 1970. "On Passive Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(4), pages 805-14, Part II J.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1974. "Money and the Production Function," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(4), pages 517-33, December.
- Foley, Duncan K & Sidrauski, Miguel, 1970.
"Portfolio Choice, Investment and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 44-63, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1235. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.