Non-Trivial Equilibrium in an Economy With Stochastic Rationing
Stochastic rationing when the market does not clear draws attention because both Dreze (1975) and Benassy (1975) quantity-constrained equilibria have some undesirable features. Gale (1978)gave the existence proof of trade under uncertainty. His stochastic rationing depends on all the individual effective demands. It is too vague to characterize a rationing mechanism. Moreover, his assumption to ensure a non-trivial equilibrium is economically not clear. In this paper we extend Green (1978) to characterizing the rationing scheme as the individual effective demand times the rationing number which is a function of the aggregate quantity signals. We also construct an economy with money and overlapping generations. We show the existence of the non-trivial equilibrium and provide an example of a non-Wairasian equilibrium at the Walrasian equilibrium prices.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1979|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Walter Perrin Heller & Ross M. Starr, 1979. "Unemployment Equilibrium with Myopic Complete Information," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(2), pages 339-359.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Hildenbrand, Werner, 1974.
"Stochastic processes of temporary equilibria,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 247-277, December.
- Jean-Pascal Benassy, 1975. "Neo-Keynesian Disequilibrium Theory in a Monetary Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 503-523.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & LAROQUE, Guy, "undated".
"Money in the pure consumption loan model,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
152, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fuchs, Gerard, 1977. "Formation of expectations : A model in temporary general equilibrium theory," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 167-187, August.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1972. "Continuity properties of a von Neumann-Morgenstern utility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 45-57, February.
- Green, Jerry R & Majumdar, Mukul, 1975. "The Nature of Stochastic Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(4), pages 647-660, July.
- Ito, Takatoshi, 1979. "An example of a non-Walrasian equilibrium with stochastic rationing at the Walrasian equilibrium prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 13-19.
- Fuchs, Gerard, 1976. "Asymptotic stability of stationary temporary equilibria and changes in expectations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 201-216, October.
- Bohm, Volker, 1978. "Disequilibrium dynamics in a simple macroeconomic model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 179-199, April.
- Fuchs, Gerard & Laroque, Guy, 1976. "Dynamics of Temporary Equilibria and Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(6), pages 1157-1178, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.