A Profitable Strategy in the Pelota Betting Market
In Pelota matches, games with two mutually exclusive and exhaustive outcomes, bets on the winner are made between viewers through a middleman who receives 16% of the finally paid amount. In this paper after the description of the way bets are made in the market we analyze what we call the general odds rule. Analyzing the way odds are fixed in the market we find that assuming equal return on bets there are biases in the market. Moreover, we find profitable betting strategies even taking commissions into account.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Publication status:||Published in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus de Arrosadía - 31006 Pamplona (Spain)|
Phone: 34 948 169340
Fax: 34 948 169 721
Web page: http://www.econ.unavarra.es
|Order Information:|| Postal: Papers are not sent in a centralized mode. You can download them with ftp, or contact the authors.|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loreto Llorente & Josemari Aizpurua, 2006. "A BETTING MARKET: Description and a theoretical explanation of bets in Pelota Matches," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra 0603, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Dowie, Jack A, 1976. "On the Efficiency and Equity of Betting Markets," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(17), pages 139-150, May.
- Woodland, Linda M & Woodland, Bill M, 1994. " Market Efficiency and the Favorite-Longshot Bias: The Baseball Betting Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 269-279, March.
- Williams, Leighton Vaughan & Paton, David, 1997. "Why Is There a Favourite-Longshot Bias in British Racetrack Betting Markets?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(440), pages 150-158, January.
- Michael A. Smith & David Paton & Leighton Vaughan Williams, 2006. "Market Efficiency in Person-to-Person Betting," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 73(292), pages 673-689, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nav:ecupna:0606. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Javier Puértolas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.