Housing Tenure Choice and Housing Expenditures in the Czech Republic
Choosing between rented housing and homeownership, the so called housing tenure choice, is a key decision made by each household. Therefore housing economists often seek an answer to the question which factors have an impact on this decision. The paper investigates potential tenure choice determinants using an econometric model based on the sample data. Results of the analysis, making use of the investigation of EU-SILC in the CR, have testified to the fact that tenure choice is affected by the factors similar to those in other countries – household income, marital status of the household head and household size (persons per household). By contrast, the influence of other demographic characteristics of the household head (gender or age) has not been confirmed. The econometric model has also made it possible to evaluate potential impact of these factors on housing related expenses of households. In addition to the logical influence of household income, tenure choice decisions are significantly influenced by household size and residence in Prague, particularly in the rented housing sector.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 05-43 523 111
Fax: 05-42 214 769
Web page: http://www.econ.muni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boehm, Thomas P., 1981. "Tenure choice and expected mobility: A synthesis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 375-389, November.
- Krumm, Ronald J., 1984. "Household tenure choice and migration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 259-271, November.
- Henderson, J Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M, 1983. "A Model of Housing Tenure Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 98-113, March.
- Kan, Kamhon, 2000. "Dynamic Modeling of Housing Tenure Choice," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 46-69, July.
- Bazyl, Monika, 2009.
"Factors Influencing Tenure Choice in European Countries,"
eres2009_106, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Monika Bazyl, 2009. "Factors Influencing Tenure Choice in European Countries," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 1(4), pages 371-387, December.
- Bazyl, Monika, 2009. "Factors influencing tenure choice in European countries," IRISS Working Paper Series 2009-04, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Monika Bazyl, 2009. "Factors Influencing Tenure Choice in European Countries," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 186, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Monika Bazyl, 2009. "Factors influencing tenure choice in European countries," Working Papers 36, Department of Applied Econometrics, Warsaw School of Economics.
- Artle, Roland & Varaiya, Pravin, 1978. "Life cycle consumption and homeownership," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 38-58, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mub:wpaper:11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.