Influence Diagnostics in GARCH Processes
Influence diagnostics have become an important tool for statistical analysis since the seminal work by Cook (1986). In this paper we present a curvature-based diagnostic to access local influence of minor perturbations on the modified likelihood displacement in a regression model. Using the proposed diagnostic, we study the local influence in the GARCH model under two perturbation schemes which involve, respectively, model perturbation and data perturbation. We find that the curvature-based diagnostic often provides more information on the local influence being examined than the slope-based diagnostic, especially when the GARCH model is under investigation. An empirical study involving GARCH modeling of the percentage daily returns of the NYSE composite index illustrates the effectiveness of the proposed diagnostic and shows that the curvature-based diagnostic may provide information that cannot be uncovered by the slope-based diagnostic. We find that the effect or influence of each observation is not invariant across different perturbation schemes, thus it is advisable to study the local influence under different perturbation schemes through curvature-based diagnostics.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia|
Phone: +61 3 99052489
Fax: +61 3 99055474
Web page: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- van Dijk, Dick & Franses, Philip Hans & Lucas, Andre, 1999.
"Testing for ARCH in the Presence of Additive Outliers,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 539-62, Sept.-Oct.
- van Dijk, D.J.C. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F. & Lucas, A., 1996. "Testing for ARCH in the Presence of Additive Outliers," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9659-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- N. G. Cadigan & P. J. Farrell, 2002. "Generalized local influence with applications to fish stock cohort analysis," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 51(4), pages 469-483.
- W.-Y. Poon & Y. S. Poon, 1999. "Conformal normal curvature and assessment of local influence," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(1), pages 51-61.
- Frank Critchley & Richard A. Atkinson & Guobing Lu & Elenice Biazi, 2001. "Influence analysis based on the case sensitivity function," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(2), pages 307-323.
- Wu, Xizhi & Luo, Zhen, 1993. "Residual sum of squares and multiple potential, diagnostics by a second order local approach," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 289-296, March.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Bera, Anil K & Higgins, Matthew L, 1993. " ARCH Models: Properties, Estimation and Testing," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 305-66, December.
- Eraker, Bjorn & Johannes, Michael & Polson, Nicholas, 2002. "The Impact of Jumps in Volatility and Returns," Working Papers 02-18, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Xibin Zhang, 2004. "Assessment of Local Influence in GARCH Processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 301-313, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msh:ebswps:2002-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xibin Zhang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.