Exploration and exploitation strategies. What kind of analytical models ?
This paper gives some insights related to the combination of exploration and exploitation behaviors. A recurrent question for firms deals with this blend of exploration and exploitation mechanisms. Firms are engaged in new activities like research and at the same time in more routine ones like development and production. Thus, they should find a satisfying arrangement between exploitation. But in order to do that, they should better understand their working. This paper analyzes adaptive systems through exploration and exploitation behaviors of firms. In order to better understand the temporal articulation of those behaviors, we refer to a mapping representation of search processes using NK models (Kauffman, 1993).
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Valente, 1998. "Laboratory for Simulation Development," DRUID Working Papers 98-5, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Marengo, Luigi, et al, 2000.
"The Structure of Problem-Solving Knowledge and the Structure of Organizations,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 9(4), pages 757-88, December.
- Luigi Marengo & Giovanni Dosi & Paolo Legrenzi & Corrado Pasquali, 1999. "The structure of problem-solving knowledge and the structure of organisations," LEM Papers Series 1999/09, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Koen Frenken & Luigi Marengo & Marco Valente, 1999. "Interdependencies, nearly-decomposability and adaption," CEEL Working Papers 9903, Cognitive and Experimental Economics Laboratory, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Abernathy, William J. & Clark, Kim B., 1985. "Innovation: Mapping the winds of creative destruction," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-22, February.
- D. Teece & S. Winter & G. Dosi, 1990. "Les frontières des entreprises : vers une théorie de la cohérence de la grande entreprise," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 51(1), pages 238-254.
- Aoki, Masahiko, 1986. "Horizontal vs. Vertical Information Structure of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 971-83, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:wpsorb:r05040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.