L'Etat peut-il rendre compétitif les clubs de football français
In France, football has become a political issue. Concerned by the decline of French clubs in European competitions, the Government is considering several reforms to give clubs more financial resources to compete with the best European clubs. This paper, empirically based on a panel database, identifies the main determinants of investment in clubs in Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 and considers the impact of the main avenues of reforms. The econometric results suggest that if the proposed reforms (renovation of stadiums, lower taxation, redistribution of broadcasting rights for top clubs) could reduce the financial gap between the best French and European clubs, they would not close it.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13|
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Szymanski, 2003. "The Economic Design of Sporting Contests," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1137-1187, December.
- Michel Aglietta & Wladimir Andreff & Bastien Drut, 2008.
"Bourse et Football,"
Revue d'économie politique,
Dalloz, vol. 118(2), pages 255-296.
- Wladimir Andreff & Michel Aglietta & Bastien Drut, 2008. "Bourse et Football," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00293907, HAL.
- Michel Aglietta & Wladimir Andreff & Bastien Drut, 2008. "Bourse et Football," Working Papers 0820, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Guido Ascari & Philippe Gagnepain, 2007.
"Evaluating Rent Dissipation in the Spanish Football Industry,"
Journal of Sports Economics,
The North American Association of Sports Economists, vol. 8(5), pages 468-490, October.
- Guido Ascari & Philippe Gagnepain, 2007. "Evaluating Rent Dissipation in the Spanish Football Industry," Post-Print hal-00622841, HAL.
- Rodney Fort & James Quirk, 1995. "Cross-subsidization, Incentives, and Outcomes in Professional Team Sports Leagues," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(3), pages 1265-1299, September.
- El-Hodiri, Mohamed & Quirk, James, 1971. "An Economic Model of a Professional Sports League," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(6), pages 1302-19, Nov.-Dec..
- Wladimir Andreff, 2007. "French Football: A Financial Crisis Rooted in Weak Governance," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00270019, HAL.
- Sloane, Peter J, 1971. "The Economics of Professional Football: The Football Club as a Utility Maximiser," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 18(2), pages 121-46, June.
- Stefan Szymanski & Stefan KÈsenne, 2004.
"Competitive balance and gate revenue sharing in team sports,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 165-177, 03.
- SZYMANSKI, Stefan & KÉSENNE, Stefan, 2003. "Competitive balance and gate revenue sharing in team sports," Working Papers 2003003, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Jean-Jacques Gouguet & Didier Primault, 2006. "The French Exception," Journal of Sports Economics, The North American Association of Sports Economists, vol. 7(1), pages 47-59, February.
- Stefan Szymanski & Ron Smith, 1997. "The English Football Industry: profit, performance and industrial structure," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 135-153.
- Forrest, David & Simmons, Robert & Feehan, Patrick, 2002. "A Spatial Cross-Sectional Analysis of the Elasticity of Demand for Soccer," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(3), pages 336-55, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:cesdoc:11048. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.