SSI for the Aged and the Problem of 'Take-Up'
The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program provides an income and health care safety net for the elderly poor. The phenomenon of apparently eligible households that do not enroll in, or 'take up' SSI has been noted as a severe problem since the program's inception in 1974. This paper examines SSI eligibility, applications, and participation in the aged population from 1984 (the most recent year analyzed in the literature to date) through 1997. We are fortunate to have administrative data on SSI use that is linked to various panels of the SIPP. We use this information to estimate the SSI-aged application choice. The key findings from the earlier literature are sensitive with respect to exact sample specification, alternative approaches to imputing the expected SSI benefit, and more detailed information on application and receipt culled from administrative files. Our findings suggest that cash benefits may be less influential, and Medicaid access through SSI more influential, than previously estimated.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 1248, Ann Arbor, MI 48104|
Phone: (734) 615-0422
Fax: (734) 647-4575
Web page: http://www.mrrc.isr.umich.edu/publications/papers/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moffitt, Robert, 1983. "An Economic Model of Welfare Stigma," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1023-1035, December.
- Hill, Daniel H, 1990. "An Endogenously-Switching Ordered-Response Model of Information, Eligibility and Participation in SSI," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 368-371, May.
- Rebecca M. Blank & Patricia Ruggles, 1996. "When Do Women Use Aid to Families with Dependent Children and Food Stamps? The Dynamics of Eligibility Versus Participation," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 31(1), pages 57-89.
- Yelowitz, Aaron S, 2000.
"Using the Medicare Buy-In Program to Estimate the Effect of Medicaid on SSI Participation,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 38(3), pages 419-441, July.
- A. S. Yelowitz, "undated". "Using the Medicare Buy-In Program to Estimate the Effect of Medicaid on SSI Participation," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1102-96, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Aaron Yelowitz, 1996. "Using the Medicare Buy-In Program to Estimate the Effect of Medicaid on SSI - Participation," UCLA Economics Working Papers 753, UCLA Department of Economics.